Lifter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alas, the only ones who might have a clue aren't talking - the GM engineers. Is it unknowable or is it unspeakable.

chirp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think there may be two causes of 2021 lifter problems. One is theoretical, and the other is published and acknowledged by GM.

1. Caused by AFM/DFM. This is a theory brought forth by many; no GM bulletin published on the subject to my knowledge (please correct me if wrong).
2. Caused by faulty parts (lifter collapse). This occurred for models built during specific months of the 2021 model year. I don't have the "bad" build months on hand; others may have that information.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yet these failures have been occurring on pickups for the past two years. GM had a bad production run of springs but I've never heard of a bad run of lifters that has been acknowledged.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer has replaced bent push rods with no broken springs or collapsed lifters. This sure sounds like harmonics on the push rods from a piss poor design. Oh and those bent lifters did have wear marks right in the area of the lifter sidewall where the push rod could make contact with it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dealer has replaced bent push rods with no broken springs or collapsed lifters. This sure sounds like harmonics on the push rods from a piss poor design. Oh and those bent lifters did have wear marks right in the area of the lifter sidewall where the push rod could make contact with it.
Yeah, the guy makes a pretty good case that weak pushrods are the smoking gun. But who knows? The engines with the older AFM system had essentially the same lifters, rockers, pushrods and springs, and their failure mode was lifters failing to fully engage and getting damaged, with the root cause being either a fault in the VLOM or low oil pressure not providing enough energy for the lifters to reliably engage. The valve train geometry is slightly different in the Gen V engines though, so maybe that's enough to make the pushrods the weak link.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why a lot of us are trying to see the rosy side of this when we should be highly critical of a company pumping out an unreliable product. If you're a GM sales associate raise your hand otherwise smarten up.

"The aforementioned valve lifter problem affects 2019-and-later model-year..."

This does not suggest a bad batch of whatever but if it were a bad batch it is multi-year and GM's quality control is worse than a Yugo's. C'mon man!!!