Lifter Club

Have you had lifter issues on your '21 Burb

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rog2867

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the gm authority bulletin about replacing the lifters is from Dec 2020

RobFog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long time listener, first time caller. I joined the unfortunates with lifter issues this weekend with a fully loaded '21 Z71 Burb 5.3L with 8500 miles (Freaking love the truck). I knew the issue prior based on forum--once I passed 5K I breathed a sigh of relief and was actually going to sell my other paid off rig. This weekend, typical story of loss of power, dash light up like a Christmas tree, Tick-Tick-Tick. Currently at dealer, they told me 2 lifters, both on the same bank. My question for the group is:

Has anyone been able to get GM to replace both banks? It seems odd that if "the new and improved lifters" fix the issue that they would not replace both banks. I'm currently trying to get them to replace all of them and they seem unmoved. Looking at the TSB the break point is 8K miles for replace 1 vs both banks, what is 500 miles GM?

Second question--of the '21 owners who has had a lifter issue? I want to imagine that it is rare, but seeing this forum and others makes it seem much more widespread (please respond to poll). I'm very curious of the ratio of respondents, I am data driven.

I debate about getting another vehicle--I live due north, winter is almost here and would hate to be stranded with my entire family on board where we vacay on weekends....problem is I love the truck, limited stock of vehicles that do anything close to the burb and supplier issues.
Our dealership replaced all lifters when 2 failed in 7/21 with 4k miles on our Z71 Tahoe. 1/1/22 we had another lifter fail and it damaged the cam shaft this time. Which I had better news for you.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our dealership replaced all lifters when 2 failed in 7/21 with 4k miles on our Z71 Tahoe. 1/1/22 we had another lifter fail and it damaged the cam shaft this time. Which I had better news for you.
What is your dealership's name and location?

My dealership was one of the earliest to deal with the issue with one of their fleet customers who had a number of trucks with bad lifters. My guy is convinced, through their experience, that once all 16 are replaced, the problems will not reoccur.

I would love to have my service advisor talk to your guys to get their perspective.

Taos_AT4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could possibly be joining the club. At 17,100 miles our '21 Yukon AT4 with a 3/21 build date freaked out on my wife right as she was pulling into the driveway. Had it towed to the dealership yesterday. Still waiting on confirmation, but all the symptoms are lining up.

Question, when you are requesting an extended warranty, who are you requesting it through. The dealership, GM customer/roadside assistance?

Taos_AT4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
P.S. Waiting to cast my vote until the dealership confirms.

KitchenMaven

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long time listener, first time caller. I joined the unfortunates with lifter issues this weekend with a fully loaded '21 Z71 Burb 5.3L with 8500 miles (Freaking love the truck). I knew the issue prior based on forum--once I passed 5K I breathed a sigh of relief and was actually going to sell my other paid off rig. This weekend, typical story of loss of power, dash light up like a Christmas tree, Tick-Tick-Tick. Currently at dealer, they told me 2 lifters, both on the same bank. My question for the group is:

Has anyone been able to get GM to replace both banks? It seems odd that if "the new and improved lifters" fix the issue that they would not replace both banks. I'm currently trying to get them to replace all of them and they seem unmoved. Looking at the TSB the break point is 8K miles for replace 1 vs both banks, what is 500 miles GM?

Second question--of the '21 owners who has had a lifter issue? I want to imagine that it is rare, but seeing this forum and others makes it seem much more widespread (please respond to poll). I'm very curious of the ratio of respondents, I am data driven.

I debate about getting another vehicle--I live due north, winter is almost here and would hate to be stranded with my entire family on board where we vacay on weekends....problem is I love the truck, limited stock of vehicles that do anything close to the burb and supplier issues.
2021 Yukon Denali 6.2L club...27,000 miles it crapped out with the lifter issues. Then "fixed"...second time in at the dealership...listening to them blabber about the wrong/"old" parts being delivered rather than the "new" ones... and that was only after a hundred miles or so. I love the truck but don't love it enough to be stranded in the middle of a mountain highway in the dark, towing my trailer. Going for the lemon law... I'll continue driving my 2003 Yukon Denali with 250K miles!

KitchenMaven

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
P.S. Waiting to cast my vote until the dealership confirms.
The dealerships lie through their teeth, so don't let them B.S. you that "oh there's a fix - replacing both banks again"...how do we know they did that and "oh, we got a bad batch of lifters sent to us"...B.S. I leased my '21 Yukon Denali - got it right off the car carrier on 7/31/20!!, so it was the dealership's first batch arriving... My first "new" car and I get a dang lemon I can't make lemonade out of...

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good that it's a lease maybe. When the lease is up they'll have to deal with it. Should get a lease extension for the shop time, but I wouldn't count on that.

Taos_AT4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whelp, confirmed. Failed lifter on the right bank, bent push rod, etc. I'll share more details in the morning. They told me they only replaced the right side, but the service receipt shows parts for 8 lifters. I'm not familiar with engines to know if there are 8 on each side or not. Could that mean the tech replaced both banks of lifters?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut