Lifter/Cam Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02DFWTahoe

Reaction score
Well, we bought our Tahoe about 4 months ago with 98,000 miles on it, and have since put another 10,000 on the clock. Noticed a few weeks ago that there was a ticking noise that could be heard once it warmed up, that didn't go away. Awesome.

So, I figure the notorious lifter issue has reared it's ugly head. What can you do?

Considering I'm going to be driving this vehicle for the foreseeable future, I'm going to fix it the right way. Here's what I'm planning on replacing while it's apart.

Parts:
  1. Lifters(Duh) - LS7 Lifters
  2. Lifter Trays - I can't remember which trays people recommend, but they're not the stock poly ones.
  3. Cam - See Below
  4. Valve Springs - Beehive upgrade
  5. Hardened Pushrods
  6. Valve Seals
  7. Oil Pump - OE replacement
  8. Water Pump - OE Replacement
  9. Timing Set - OE Replacement
  10. Knock Sensors and Harness - OE Replacement
  11. Upstream O2 sensors
Anything glaring that I'm missing? I didn't list all of the gaskets and such, but they will all be replaced with OE gaskets, unless there's some reason that I shouldn't.

Replacement Cam:
Since I don't want to take any chances on the Cam, it's going to be replaced with an aftermarket cam. I've looked all over the place for cam options, and have settled on one from Cam Motion:

Duration at .050 - 210/215
Lift with - 1.7 - .518/.510
Lobe separation 114
Intake center line 110

Does anyone have experience running this cam? The numbers were appealing to me, it looks like a good cam for longevity/durability compared the the TSP 212/218 .600. There was a post somewhere last year showing dyno results of a stock truck with the smaller version, 205/210 .501/.501 @ 115+4 that showed some respectable numbers around +35 rwhp and 25 ft/lbs.

I'm not looking for a dragster, or a cam that *needs* a stall. Additionally, the TSP cam seems like it has a lot of lift for a small duration cam, it seems like it would create some valvetrain noise. The truck may end up with a set of speed engineering LT's, and probably their true dual setup when it finally becomes available. Thanks to Ezdaar I've been watching that thread for months now, trying to be patient, but I want it...now.

Thoughts appreciated!

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
l1204201515.jpg

OP
OP

02DFWTahoe

Reaction score
LOL. It's your fault. I check that thread all the time in hopes that they're going to get that setup in earlier. It looks incredible, and sounded great as well.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aye! I am waiting also. hate my current exhaust setup.
Gong to pull my 1 3/4" SE headers in favor of their 1 7/8's as well.

O while you have heads off, lap the valves and clean all the ports out.
Have you considering doing the NNBS intake swap while you have it all torn down?

Don't forget this.
I have even been thinking about painting my intake matt black with VHT2k just for giggles.

OP
OP

02DFWTahoe

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the NNBS intake swap actually. I'll look that up. Was planning on getting a different set of wheels so I could do the NNBS brake swap though. This a good chunk of change though, so I'll probably hold off on that for a bit.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to note on the intake swap.
There are two fuel line setups.
Return and returnless.

The TBSS and truck intakes have the different fuel line setups, but the manifold itself is the same.
So get the one that matches your fuel line config.
Get the Flex fuel version for the bigger injectors, you will need them with the mods your planning. Just make sure to get the injectors with the correct sockets to match your plugs or you will need (cheap) adapters.
My 06 non FF injectors are maxed with just a big ass CAI and full exhaust.

Here is another Idea for you.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine.
I was the guinnie pig way back in the day, So I get free re tunes when ever I want.
We try all sorts of stuff on my truck.
My tune is very aggressive.

Stay away from Volant if your considering a CAI.
Everyone of my buddies has removed theirs in favor of a Specter or its ebay knockoff.
Heck we removed one last night from a 04 tahoe on oem 20's.
with the volant, it would bog from 2200-2800, couldnt spin the tires and was just generally ****** to drive.
Put OEM back on, and now it will chirp the tires from a stop, nothing crazy, but at least can.

I've been trying to give mine away. no one wants Volant after trying a modded specter.

O hey, order a ELM327, get bluetooth if your android and the wifi version if apple.
Best method is to get a cheap -50$ tablet from newegg or tiger direct and use the bluetooth version for the "torque PRO" app.
Its very nice.
get the biggest screen you can.

Last edited:
OP
OP

02DFWTahoe

Reaction score
I actually have an elm327, I haven't messed with it yet though. Maybe I'll try that out tonight! I haven't checked the apple store for apps, but it should work with my iPad!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos