Lift gate window exploded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phottomatt

Reaction score
On a very cold day, around 12f, I fired up the Yukon with the remote start which turns on the rear window heat (and A/C for some reason but thats another thread). When I went to throw something in the back I noticed an odd smell but assumed it was exhaust, then while driving I noticed a smell like hot wires/ electrical. I noticed the rear window defrost was still on so I turned it off, then the rear window exploded. The sequence of events are a little fuzzy, having a window explode while driving tends to rattle a person so I can't really be sure that I turned the heat off before it exploded. Getting a rapid cooling after being hot would make glass explode though so that's the theory I am sticking with. Anyone else have rear window heat issues?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had the rear hatch glass on our 2008 Yukon XL do the disappearing act a few years ago while my wife was rolling down the highway. Wife said it was like Thanos snapped his fingers and it just started to disintegrate. My guess was some localized heat spike caused it.

Someone else on here had a similar thing happen to their rear hatch glass a while back as well except I think they were just parked when it happened.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know what the dealer says. I've heard of it happening on F150 rear windows.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a defect in the glass. All safety glass components need to be stress relieved during the manufacturing process, but occasionally some glass does not get totally stress relieved in the process, and these defective glass items are subject to 'explosion', when exposed to a large temperature fluctuation. These issues are more common in hot climates where the sun on the glass causes the issue.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had this happen, but the tabs for the rear defrost that are welded (or soldered) to the rear glass so the rear defrost can function keep snapping off. I've soldered each one back on twice now.

However, it is currently winter and very cold in Ohio and one is currently popped off, not allowing my rear defrost to function. Because of the potential of this happening when I go to solder it back on in the cold winter weather I have held off in doing so. Really don't want to go through all of winter with no rear defrost but if that's what I have to do to prevent this from happening I will.

repairman54

Reaction score
I've used the tab repair kits on cars with fixed glass and it worked but not on my hatch window with the swinging weight of the wire hanging off it. I heated up the tab holding it with pliers and stuck it on with molten soldier on it and stuck it on. Used some conductive grid repair paint around it to make sure connection was good and it's held up for 2 yrs. now. Knock on wooden head LOL
I've seen snow melt water run down onto windows on vehicles parked in the sun break windows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne