Leveling keys vs cranking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denali5500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
are there any differences between buying a 1-2 inch leveling keys or cranking the stock keys?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
are there any differences between buying a 1-2 inch leveling keys or cranking the stock keys?

No. The leveling /lifting /ford keys are just indexed to allow more crank. The only difference is going to be the length of the bolt when you're done and position of the key in the channel. The torque on the bar and resulting ride will be the same. Getting up around 2" you may get close to bottoming out the stock ones. If you're only looking for 1-2", crank away on what you've got. Don't skip on getting an alignment when you're happy with where she sits.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about leveling my front to match my rear, I guess I can get away with just cranking the bolts and getting shock spacers.

Token11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been thinking about leveling my front to match my rear, I guess I can get away with just cranking the bolts and getting shock spacers.
did you do it and how were the results did you have to get new shock absorbers for the front?

Aquamania001

Reaction score
I was thinking about this also. I bought a 2 inch lift for the front and rear. Has keys for the front. I will let you know once I get it put on.

gearhead10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Kinda the same thing but also different. My '04 has a Rancho 4 inch lift on it. It sat level and I had the tire clearance for the Toyo Open country 315's. This last Holiday season we added a Hammerhead X series bumper and Warn 12K winch, adding about 305 pounds to the front. Now the front is down about 1.5 inches compared to where it was and I now have some tire rub when in tight turns. So the question is, crank the stock keys or get new keys that will allow an offset of 1.5 inch. Opinions? thoughts?

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda the same thing but also different. My '04 has a Rancho 4 inch lift on it. It sat level and I had the tire clearance for the Toyo Open country 315's. This last Holiday season we added a Hammerhead X series bumper and Warn 12K winch, adding about 305 pounds to the front. Now the front is down about 1.5 inches compared to where it was and I now have some tire rub when in tight turns. So the question is, crank the stock keys or get new keys that will allow an offset of 1.5 inch. Opinions? thoughts?
Depending on how much your keys are cranked right now I don't see why cranking them up wouldn't be the way to go. You don't really gain anything with the aftermarket keys unless you need more crank that what your stock ones max out at

gearhead10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That was my original thought but before I started on that I tried to get info on whether or not they were cranked with the lift was in stalled and their records of my install have been shipped back to their HQ. I called them, got a number for the archive folks, left a msg and haven't heard a thing from them. So, I guess I head to my trusted shop here and let the lifted 4x4 wizard there see if he can determine if they were or not. he is the only guys in this area that is trusted to do alignments on lifted 4x4. Thanks for the input.

rgosart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my original thought but before I started on that I tried to get info on whether or not they were cranked with the lift was in stalled and their records of my install have been shipped back to their HQ. I called them, got a number for the archive folks, left a msg and haven't heard a thing from them. So, I guess I head to my trusted shop here and let the lifted 4x4 wizard there see if he can determine if they were or not. he is the only guys in this area that is trusted to do alignments on lifted 4x4. Thanks for the input.

The only thing you have to do is crawl under the truck and look at the adjustment on the keys... If there are threads showing on the bolt, you have room to keep going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287