Lets talk about Brake Upgrades...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SBK RACER

Reaction score
You can not go wrong with better brakes... The ability to slow down quickly is most important to avoid a collision.

2000-2006 seem to come with Vacuum Buster, 12" inch Front Brake Rotors, Single Piston Calipers, and Rubber Hoses.

We can do better than this, at a price. What are better brakes worth to you???

Hydro Busters seem to be much better than Vacuum Busters.

IMG_054537.jpg

The 2007 + Front Brake Rotors are 13" 1" bigger than 2006 and older. And that the 2007 + Front Brake Calipers come with 2 pistons. Direct Bolt-On make this modification very tempting.

There is the Summit Racing 14" Front Brake Rotor and 2 Piston Caliper adapters. Meant to be used with 18" wheels or bigger.

SUM-BK1422.jpg

And of course the Wilwood 16" Big Brake Kit. Meant for 20" wheels or bigger.

WIL_140-8996-DRa.jpg

Larger rotors do not only offer more brake leverage... They also offer larger amount of braking surface per revolution of the wheel.

For example if the brake pads have a run of 2" high:
  • For a Stock Rotor there is a braking surface of 34.5575 sq inches.
  • For a 2007 + Rotor there is a braking surface of 37.6991 sq inches. With 1.0833 more leverage than stock.
  • For a Summit Racing 14" Rotor there is a braking surface of 40.8407 sq inches. With 1.1666 more leverage than stock.
  • For a Wilwood 16" Rotor there is a braking surface of 47.1239 sq inches. With 1.333 more leverage than stock.

Materials of which Rotors are made make a significant difference.

Another thing about Rotor is the Slotted and Drilled Rotors... Slotted Rotors offer gaps for brake pad dust, and heat to escape the brake pads... Drilled Rotors are meant for cooling. Each little circle adds surface to release heat.

As far as Brake Calipers, a 2 piston caliper does offer a larger clamping area. The biggest difference is seen from the wider brake pads you can use, they offer more contact area and offer more friction / stopping power.

There are many Brand options to Steel Braided Brake Lines. Stainless steel lines make a significant difference. Rubber lines flex/swell under pressure. The more pressure the more the flex/swell... Imagine braking with a sponge, or without a sponge... No Flex = more feedback, or feel at the pedal...

Please feel free to ad comments, information and links...

Last edited:

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
I have bought the bigger NNBS rotors and calipers for both our NBS Tahoe's also planning on doing Hydro boost upgrade too. But I believe I have to swap out power steering pump too. Do you know?

Now our 2001 and 2002 Tahoe's both have dual calipers up front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SBK RACER

SBK RACER

Reaction score
My 2006 Yukon SLT with tow package, has Hydrobust and dual calipers front and back... I wonder if you can mount 14 inch rotors front and back...

Summit Racing sells 14" rotors for $200.00 pr. If extension brackets for the calipers is all that is required to use the bigger rotors, I may have my machine shop guy make me some...

Z-56 HOE, I believe you do not need to replace steering pump... But you do need a hydrobust brake pedal...

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i have the 16 inch wilwoods. niceeeeeeeeeeeee stufff

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I have done slotted & drilled rotors , Goodridge SS lines , Hydro boost conversion, and now back to semi metallic pads (from ceramic which I don't use anymore) lAll of these upgrades have drastically improved my braking. But would say Hydro boost conversion wost most drastic improvement. I had a how-to write-up I was gonna do for TYF , just never got aeound to putting on here.
Maybe someday do either BB kit, or NNBS upgrade.
And yes, brake pedal is needed Michael, but power steering pump isn't necessary unless wanted. Only diffrrence, has a fitting that vacuum doesn't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SBK RACER

SBK RACER

Reaction score
I think all components work together to make a complete system.

I like the idea of bigger rotors because they offer more braking surface, and have more braking leverage.

I have a good idea on how to bolt on the 14 inch front rotors. I am going to have relocating brackets made for my calipers...

I am not sure if I can mount bigger rotors on the rear, and still have a parking brake... I think I am going to do the front first, and figure out the rear end later.

:D Luis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent

Latest posts