LED Taillights How to on Barn door models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, This is my first how to so take it easy on me.

I have searched all over to find a set of LED taillights that look good on a NBS with Barn Doors. I saw these and figured i could possibly make them work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDc3_gZ0d9o These come in like 4 different colors.

So when they arrived I test fit them, the bottom reflector was hitting behind the hinge, looked and it and realized I could cut that part out and should be good to go. So here are all the pictures of how to do so.

First off you are going to need the following:
1.jpg

1. Phillips and flat head screwdriver
2. Clamps to secure the taillight while cutting
3. razorblade
4. some kind of adhesive, I used hot glue.
5. silicone if you arent sure if you sealed it back up well with the hot glue
6. Tool to cut plastic, I used a oscillating tool. you could also use a dremel.
7. compressed air to blow the plastic shavings out with.

So first off you have to remove the black box with wires in it and relocate it.
It was originally where the blue square is. you have to move it where the picture shows in the red circle.
2.jpg

These next 2 pictures show where you need to cut.
3.jpg
4.jpg

Here is what it looks like after you cut it.
6.jpg

Here is the piece you cut out. The reflector used to sit on the large flat piece. Clipped into the hole on each side.
5.jpg

Here is what it looks like before you set the reflector into the new hole.
7.jpg

Here is with the reflector set into the hole against the outside lens.
8.jpg

This is the outside view with the reflector in place.
9.jpg

Here is it all glued in and ready to install.
10.jpg

The next 2 pictures show the light installed and the new clearance behind the reflector.
11.jpg
12.jpg

Here is the drivers side light installed.
13.jpg

This picture is the light installed and camera up close with the camera flash off.
14.jpg

This picture is the light installed and camera up close with the camera flash on.
15.jpg

Here is the New and old comparison.
New LED on left side. Old stock on right side.
16.jpg

Here is the finished product!
17.jpg

Also here is the video from youtube of what the lights look like lit up .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDc3_gZ0d9o

Thank you all. If you have any questions let me know.

Hope you like it.

blazerjohnny94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i did similar on mine (diff style light) bout a year ago same thing didnt like other options of lights i just cut out whole backup light as i have a infared backup cam and my truck is dark green no one notices until i tell them if i do

OP
OP
YukonXL04

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did similar on mine (diff style light) bout a year ago same thing didnt like other options of lights i just cut out whole backup light as i have a infared backup cam and my truck is dark green no one notices until i tell them if i do

Yea I saw people doing that... but I didnt like not having backup lights. Kinda dangerous when backing out of a parking spot without the lights.

Overall I am happy with them.

Reaction score
Nice thanks for the info. I like the tails too, look like a nice upgrade and not all cheap looking like others I've seen. Might do this in the next few weeks.

I might paint them a little darker red though and get rid of the clear piece to make it blend in more. Good stuff.

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score

TheReaperZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had no idea the barn doors would cause an issue. Glad I saw this thread. That's the exact lights I want to put on mine eventually.

OP
OP
YukonXL04

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they make these that have a smoked reverse section so it isnt as bright
http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-06-Subur...oe&hash=item1c3896c7c1&vxp=mtr#ht_3600wt_1166

These are a different light, and definitely won't fit a barn door model

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

I had no idea the barn doors would cause an issue. Glad I saw this thread. That's the exact lights I want to put on mine eventually.

Yeah the hinge will hit the light on the backside. It's a really easy mod to do on my lights though

Kickerking817

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks to YukonXL04 I used the same lights except the smoked version. They worked out nicely and was not a hard mod at all thanks to this thread. You will have to install load resistors due to losing cruise control, but definitely a great upgrade not many barn door tahoes out there with LED tails.

OP
OP
YukonXL04

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad I could help. Do you have any installed pics? I'm thinking about doing a light smoke on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish