LED Strip Lighting - underhood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Started the convo somewhere else but I just can't seem to find the thread

Anyhoo... Looking to wire in some LED strips under the hood from 3 sides (no shadows) for some nice lighting when working under there.

What all are y'all using? And could you post pics? My current price together is in the 300 range for parts and that honestly just doesn't sound right. Was looking at ip65 rated ~500 lumen/foot strips to run on either side plus the front of the underside of the hood

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anyhoo... Looking to wire in some LED strips under the hood from 3 sides (no shadows) for some nice lighting when working under there.

What all are y'all using? And could you post pics? My current price together is in the 300 range for parts and that honestly just doesn't sound right. Was looking at ip65 rated ~500 lumen/foot strips to run on either side plus the front of the underside of the hood
just go buy any car stereo/alarm install shop and buy a hood pin that should be no more than $5, then go buy lowes/home depot/ace, etc and buy a short roll of outdoor white led roll that runs on 12v, should be $50 maybe for some stuff that will last for years. you might get lucky and catch some on sale or close out.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did it with strip lighting from EBay, wired to the gravity switch in the stock under hood light. Looked great for about a year but I think the hood slamming shut caused a lot of the LED’s to quit. It started looking bad so I yanked them.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Found one of my saved links:
http://www.gmt800.com/threads/led-lights-under-hood-d-i-y.201/

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I used eagle eyes , then switched to a cob panel strip. Cost my $3. My own labor and already had spare wire. $300 is insane. I’m sure you don’t want color but I’m saying there’s other options instead of strips 15BA0319-C8A4-4980-B66B-26CFBBD5B3DC.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne