LED power window switch mod 00-02 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this mod on my 2001 Suburban, but all 00-02 Tahoes and Yukons have the same door switches, so this write up should apply to all those models. 03 on up have different switches, they have tiny SMT LEDs in them from the factory.
I like the look of Blue LED's so I decided to replace all the backlighting on all my interior switches and guages. I decided to start with the window and door lock switches on the doors.

I started off by purchasing some 5mm blue LED's along with the resistors needed for them from www.oznium.com
DSC00012-1.jpg

Then I removed the drivers side switch from the truck. To open up the switch, you have to remove all the buttons. I used a small screwdriver to pop them off. Be careful, they are only held on by two lil plastic tabs on each switch. Its one lil tab on each side, so pry under the side right where the switch pivots.
DSC00003.jpg
DSC00002.jpg
DSC00006.jpg

Now with all of them removed...
DSC00007.jpg

You can now pry the switch open. Just work your way around the switch, undoing the tabs.
DSC00008.jpg

Now you have the switch open to work on it.
DSC00009.jpg
DSC00010.jpg

You'll see some clear plastic light diffusers surrounding the stock bulbs, these will have to be removed. If you leave these in place ans just swap an LED in place of the stock bulb, it will look like crap. For even light coverage on every switch, I hot glued an led into each switch.
DSC00011.jpg
Just carefully pry up at the bottom parts where it srround the bulb.
DSC00012.jpg
These will not be reused.
Now you will need to find the hot and ground for the lights, which I've already done for you. The ground is the far left outer row, the hot is the far right outer row.
DSC00019.jpg
DSC00018.jpg
This is where you will solder your hot and ground leads for the LED's.
DSC00021.jpg
DSC00023.jpg
DSC00024.jpg

For each led, you will need to solder a hot and a ground wire to it, and solder a resistor into the hot wire. (unless you chosse to skip this step and pay the extra $$ for prewired LED's)
DSC00025.jpg
DSC00001-1.jpg
DSC00002-1.jpg

Heres all the LED's wired up and ready to go, with heat shrink tubing over all the solder joints.
DSC00003-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you can glue each LED in place as close to the center of each switch as you can. For the lock swich button, I used two LED's to get better light coverag on the switch. Also used two for the WindowLock button. I cut the two clear "legs" off the window lock button and hot glued and LED on each side firing light up into the switch.
DSC00004-1.jpg
DSC00005-1.jpg
And heres the window switches with the LED's....
DSC00006-1.jpg
Now once you get all the LED's glued in place, test each one before you solder tham all together. Then once you are sure they are all working, solder all your hots and ground together and cover them with heat shrink tubing.
DSC00007-1.jpg
DSC00008-1.jpg
Now tuck all the loose wires out of the way and glue them down if you have to. Make sure you have enough slack at the top of each wire where it connects to the LED so the switch can pivot freely.
Put everything back together in reverse steps from how you took it all apart. Heres some shots of the end result.
DSC00009-1.jpg

And with the switch mounted back on the door.
DSC01786.jpg
DSC01788.jpg
DSC01787.jpg

And heres the passenger side switch in action...
DSC01789.jpg

This mod looks GREAT at night, and even during the day.

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I skipped a step. I removed the stock bulbs by cutting the off with a small pair of cutters. Be careful making sure that no solder or wire is touching each other after you remove it.
If your stock bulb is burnt out, you can just choose to leave it there if you want to.

DSHZNET

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried sending you a Pm but it wont go through because i havent posted enough. but send me a message saying how much you would charge me to do all four of my switch panel for a 2001 tahoe.

casper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
would you be interested in doing one on a 06 yukon I will bring it to you i am in NE Oklahoma but go to the LA area once a month

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844