LED Fog Light Conversion for Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what all models this will interchange with, but our specimen for today is a 2004 Yukon XL Denali.

Here she is:
IMG_20140601_184047_183_zps6f3d485e.jpg

So, here is a little closer picture of a stock fog light. Its basically all plastic, weighs next to nothing, and generally seems like a $0.02 part. I've tried it out and wasn't impressed at all.

Foglight1_zps8906f0bd.jpg

So, normally I would just leave them turned off and not worry with them. However, a guy named Hilton gave me a pair of LED lights and wanted me to put them to good use. The reason I chose this truck as the recipient was because of the driver light being cracked and filled with rain water when I bought the truck. I drilled a tiny hole in the lens to relieve the water and never thought much about them again....until now. This is a match made in heaven. Now after I did a quick measurement I gave myself the green light. Here's the culprit, likely a victim of a flying rock...

Foglight2_zps2f942219.jpg

Here is a complete foglight assembly on the table. 3 10mm nuts hold it on the truck, and the studs are hard mounted to the fiberglass support behind the bumper. Notice the wing style adjuster, it will pivot the light up and down but there is no side to side adjustment capability with the stock bracket.

Foglight3_zps4a41ea5f.jpg

This is our replacement, they are readily available on amazon or ebay as a general 27w LED round bulb. Search that and it should pop right up. Price seems to be about $30 for a pair. I think this will work well as a fog light because the light should be very focused.

Foglight4_zpsa98b33a5.jpg

You can see it contains 9 LEDs total.

Foglight5_zps4342e20d.jpg

You can see here the size comparison. Its so close its spooky.

Foglight6_zps4ba432ec.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Remove the stock light by two pushpins and unthread that wing nut. Place the LED in the bracket and you can see the general location you want it to be mounted. We are going to cut and remove the entire lower portion of the bracket as it won't be used and focus on just the top plate.

Foglight7_zpsf82efc0c.jpg

Here's a view from the top. Notice how close it is to following the natural line of the stock bracket. Well, we are gonna run with this idea. The LED bracket is a tad to wide so we are going to tweek it a little. Also, notice the corners aren't exactly the same curve..

Foglight8_zps430de706.jpg

We did 2 things here. One, we opened the hole up enough for the silver bracket to slide in, and two, we squared off the corners so it could seat all the way.

Foglight9_zps94c6caa9.jpg

A few tacks top and bottom and they are mated for life.

Foglight10_zps93552997.jpg

Basically just bolt the LED light to the bracket with the one through bolt. Quick coat of paint over your welds if you like and its ready to go on the truck using two of the original 3 stock studs.

Foglight11_zpsbd594fd6.jpg

Here's the comparison, driver is LED, passenger is still stock. The LED seems brighter overall and definitely has a whiter light. I'm hoping that aides in clarity during general use.

Foglight12_zpsffacd6c9.jpg

Here it is complete:

Foglight13_zps2bb9399b.jpg

And what it looks like turned off:

Foglight14_zps2f2900c3.jpg

Questions, comments, suggestions? As for adjusting them, the stock bracket is that great metal: that's soft enough to bend and tough enough to hold the bend after its bent. I'm gonna wait till the sun goes down and adjust by hand until they are how I want. These are hooked to the stock wires and work with the stock fog light button.

Alright, comparison pics:
Lows:
Low_zps2e381392.jpg

Fogs:
Fog_zpsb8644275.jpg

Highs:
High_zps75e8ab1c.jpg

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing these are like a off road type bright light? I like it. The NNBS fogs are almost the same way so I wonder if NNBS peeps can do it too

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked the beam against a wall yet to see what kind of pattern they put out. I think it will be more of a flood light with a wide area. on coming traffic might not like it.

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked the beam against a wall yet to see what kind of pattern they put out. I think it will be more of a flood light with a wide area. on coming traffic might not like it.

I plan on checking that as soon as it gets dark. I know it will flood some (Hilton has half a dozen of these) but Im hoping it wont be too bad. Perhaps if I aim them in a downward biased......

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work. Curious to see the nighttime shots!

Ditto.

And I just replaced my foglight lenses in summer...what a PITA....my mounting studs started to spin because of all the rust-had to pull the front bumper cover.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please do not use these on public roads.

Robertss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
those look like the brand ecco light I sell them here at my work at kenworth been wanting to try something along the same lines on my nbs 01 suburban

OP
OP

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pssh, ha ha, yeah they are pretty bright. My buddy has 4 on the front of his truck he uses just to spot deer because the roads around his house are so bad. He flips them off when people approach obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844