LED DRL Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dooba

Reaction score
This doesn't apply to the Chevy line. MY 17 Burb has the "dim" DRLs that aren't on during the day. They use the headlamps at low voltage for DRLs and the LED strip kicks on after dusk. However, if you look at my LED strip at specific angles, you can see a single bright (think LTZ level) LED in the light strip on each side. Not sure if the whole strip can be lit up that was but from everything I have read the headlight LED RDL strip is a different part number for 15-17 LS & LTs vs LTZs.

Yes, I know it doesn’t. Only Yukons have the same LED DRLs across the board.

Tahoe/Suburban LED DRLs have been discussed before:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/led-daytime-running-lights.61550/

Its a BCM hackjob from what I’ve read but the 18+ Tahoe/Suburban DRLs operate the same way whether its a custom, ls, lt, rst or premier with the source I’ve linked a couple posts above.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
I found a way to wire the led strips for drl's using 3 relays. I am using a hid conversion for headlights so my circuit only has a single headlight output. It works fine on my 15 Tahoe and my son's 17 Suburban. The leds do not seem to be quite as bright as the LTZ strip but are plenty bright for drl's.
It does require some cutting and soldering to the vehicle harness.

The Chevrolet LS and LT versions used the headlights operating at a reduced voltage accomplished by pulse width modulation for DRL's. All 2018 models switch over to using the led's like previous LTZ models.

Message me if interested.

Christian80

Reaction score
I found a way to wire the led strips for drl's using 3 relays. I am using a hid conversion for headlights so my circuit only has a single headlight output. It works fine on my 15 Tahoe and my son's 17 Suburban. The leds do not seem to be quite as bright as the LTZ strip but are plenty bright for drl's.
It does require some cutting and soldering to the vehicle harness.

The Chevrolet LS and LT versions used the headlights operating at a reduced voltage accomplished by pulse width modulation for DRL's. All 2018 models switch over to using the led's like previous LTZ models.

Message me if interested.
I swapped 19 Tahoe headlights into my 16 Suburban because my headlights started to look crappy and one was fogging. Everything works the same with the difference that the led strip is at full brightness at night or when using parking lights manually. I swapped the wires for low beam and DRL(LED strip) in the car harness and led strip operates dimmer now, BCM reduces voltage from 12 to 9 volts I believe on the low beam circuit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore