LED Daytime running lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvpvic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where did you get the newer LED strip and how hard was it to swap out?
It was a complete assembly for a 2018-2019. I know some folks open headlights up then bake them back together in the oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradac

Reaction score
Hey guys, just an update,

I installed the 2018 Tahoe headlights with the brighter LED stripe on my 2016.

With the harness I got from Matt, Which will swapped the standard DRL low beam to the LED, the problem is this doesn’t let the 2018 headlight run at max brightness with this harness.

Whats really interesting, is if I switch the Parking lights on, and remove the pigtail harness from matt, and just connect it directly like the normal headlight I can get Max brightness with the 2018 headlight I installed in parking light mode. This also happens when I remote start the car. However when the car is in drive without the harness it’s just low beam.

My guess it has todo with relays or not sending enough power. Maybe someone could answer this? I know a BCM reporgram would prob fix it, but looking for alternative solutions.

Attached is the photo of my 2016 with 2018 headlight with max brightness with Parking lighting engaged, when I put it in drive just switches the low beam on.

The downfall to using the parking lights engaged, is no auto headlights, having to turn it on and off, and the rest of the parking lights being engaged in the vehicle during the day.

072FA525-CE2B-40AB-B752-251A76CFD02D.jpeg

jtaff41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m having an issue with my Tahoe as well. My truck has been rebuilt and it has the halogen headlights. However, one headlight’s LED is significantly brighter than the other. I bought another headlight on eBay (stated it fits 15-17 models, mine is a 16) and I have the same outcome after I switched it out. Are we sure that the 2018 halogen headlights do indeed simply just have a brighter LED strip on them?
PIMG_2107.jpg

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m having an issue with my Tahoe as well. My truck has been rebuilt and it has the halogen headlights. However, one headlight’s LED is significantly brighter than the other. I bought another headlight on eBay (stated it fits 15-17 models, mine is a 16) and I have the same outcome after I switched it out. Are we sure that the 2018 halogen headlights do indeed simply just have a brighter LED strip on them?
PView attachment 227115

Assuming that you are saying that your truck is a salvaged vehicle, I wonder if the issue is that your truck was rebuilt with a cobbled together front end?

jtaff41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Assuming that you are saying that your truck is a salvaged vehicle, I wonder if the issue is that your truck was rebuilt with a cobbled together front end?

It’s actually not that bad. I’ve had it for a year, the truck has been solid. I’ve had a few friends that are mechanics look at it and they all agree.

The only thing that was not done right was the headlights. I contacted the person who fixed the truck and he said they were both halogen headlights but from different suppliers.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PView attachment 227115

Can you see the part numbers on the headlights?

jtaff41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

No. In my research I’m coming across that the headlight part # is 84294343. However on the GM parts websites that I’m finding them on they say they are only compatible with 2018-2019 models. Shouldn’t they fit in my 2016 LT as well? That’s my hesitation right now.

jtaff41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Also the sticker on the left headlight with the brighter LED strip is warn down. Same as the right. I am finding used halogen headlights on eBay that state 2015-2019 headlights with the part number 84294343. I just want to be sure it will work in my 2016 LT

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the sticker on the left headlight with the brighter LED strip is warn down. Same as the right. I am finding used halogen headlights on eBay that state 2015-2019 headlights with the part number 84294343. I just want to be sure it will work in my 2016 LT

I would recommend that you go to the dealer for the headlights to make sure you have the correct ones. For the LS and LTs, there was a change with the 2018 model year with respect to the daytime running lamps. For 15-17, the DRLs were in the halogen headlamp bulbs. For 18-20, they are in the LED strip. Another consideration might be in. the wire harness if a later one was used or one was pulled from an LTZ or a Yukon.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little teaser of the project I’ve been working on with the help of a great friend & mind.

1aa6c863c5f7399078d2e9a55c66e76c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33