LED Daytime running lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@73Vetteman Three questions:

1. Does the 4700uf capacitor connect between the headlamp input wire and pin 85 on the outside relay?

2. Which wire coming out of the factory headlamp connector does pin 30 of the middle relay go to for the LED DRL? Is it position 6 (DRL Control) on the connector?

3. Does the wire from pin 87 on the middle relay go to position 7 (Park Lamp Control) on the headlamp connector and replace the factory park lamp circuit from the headlamp harness or does it splice into it?

e01f78a6a281e369cb9354917d5a1824.jpg

73Vetteman

Reaction score
@73Vetteman Three questions:

1. Does the 4700uf capacitor connect between the headlamp input wire and pin 85 on the outside relay?

2. Which wire coming out of the factory headlamp connector does pin 30 of the middle relay go to for the LED DRL? Is it position 6 (DRL Control) on the connector?

3. Does the wire from pin 87 on the middle relay go to position 7 (Park Lamp Control) on the headlamp connector and replace the factory park lamp circuit from the headlamp harness or does it splice into it?

e01f78a6a281e369cb9354917d5a1824.jpg
The (+) lead of the capacitor and the headlight power from the vehicle harness connect to the relay terminal. The (-) lead of the capacitor connects to chassis ground. It is much easier to buy the code cancel capacitor where one end plugs into the vehicle harness and just cut the plug off the other end to connect wires to the relay for headlight input and ground.

See attached photos to answer your other questions.

Last edited:

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I tried it out myself and it worked. I literally just cut the wire for pin 2 and pin 6. Swapped it. Back into the headlight assembly and done. So now the led strip is on during the day and at night the headlights come on. Very easy without having to buy any new harness. The intensity of the led strip is the same. I didnt want to do more cutting or any other mods and end up screwing everything up. But at the end am super happy with the outcome. I also upgraded all the lights to LED - morimoto brand since I took the whole front end apart to make it easier to cut and swap.
can you give a long term feedback to this?

I have my aftermarket foglights triggered off the low beam feed right now. but am interested in doing your swap. LED Fogs and I will be swapping to LED head bulbs shortly.

mainly worried about long term issues by having these swapped. I can fix with relays, but would rather not add all the extra wiring if not needed.

clderrick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
can you give a long term feedback to this?

I have my aftermarket foglights triggered off the low beam feed right now. but am interested in doing your swap. LED Fogs and I will be swapping to LED head bulbs shortly.

mainly worried about long term issues by having these swapped. I can fix with relays, but would rather not add all the extra wiring if not needed.
Don't know what happened to a post I just made explaining I found a way of modifying it to function correctly in all ways with my hid converted headlights.
Message me if you need more information. For 2015 through 2017 Tahoe and Subs. Requires 3 relays, cutting, and soldering.
can anyone post some pics of the light performance after the mod? My led strips are really dim during the day and wonder if it’s worth it. Thanks if you can! CD

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@cmatt has cable extensions which make the non LTZ strip act like a DDL strip, except for the brightness. I added a wire to have my LED fogs power off if the LED strip power so they are on with DDLs.

Martine46

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The LED strip is slightly dimmer than the strip used on the LTZ models but the difference is hardly noticeable. A code cancelling capacitor can be purchased for about $10 or a 4700 uf capacitor must be used on the headlight input to filter the PWM signal or the relay will buzz. This circuit is made for HID lights but will also work for halogen or LED headlights if wired to them.

This circuit allows everything to operated EXACTLY like the LTZ.

I'm glad theres a solution,
Only question I have is, what is it you have connected to pin 85 on the left and 30 on the right?
I'm assuming the HIDs but its never good to assume. Everything else looks pretty straight forward from the photos.

InkedWP_20181105_16_24_10_Pro_question.jpg

bourgeois

Reaction score
@cmatt has cable extensions which make the non LTZ strip act like a DDL strip, except for the brightness. I added a wire to have my LED fogs power off if the LED strip power so they are on with DDLs.

How can I order an extension cable?

73Vetteman

Reaction score
I'm glad theres a solution,
Only question I have is, what is it you have connected to pin 85 on the left and 30 on the right?
I'm assuming the HIDs but its never good to assume. Everything else looks pretty straight forward from the photos.

View attachment 223427
Pin 85 is the input from the headlight wire on the vehicle harness. (Only one headlight input is needed). The + side of the capacitor also needs to be connected to that pin.
Pin 30 connects to both ballasts for the hid lights..
John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844