LED Daytime running lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RackofGreen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, just went and talked to the guy at the dealership that does all the BCM programming. He said he gets the request a lot. He said there’s 6 wires per headlight unit that would have to be run to the fuse box then to the BCM. He said it would void your warranty and GM won’t let them do the install. He said it’s not impossible, it would just be very difficult and wouldn’t be backed by GM.

Now we just need to figure out which 6 wires from each headlight unit need to be run to the fuse box and then BCM to make it happen. Any wizards out there skilled enough to look at wiring diagrams to figure this out?

NappyBoy

Reaction score
Ok, just went and talked to the guy at the dealership that does all the BCM programming. He said he gets the request a lot. He said there’s 6 wires per headlight unit that would have to be run to the fuse box then to the BCM. He said it would void your warranty and GM won’t let them do the install. He said it’s not impossible, it would just be very difficult and wouldn’t be backed by GM.
Im willing to do it my warranty is void just send me the instruction

87nokturnal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used the kit from GenDIY linked earlier in this thread and it worked perfectly.
Does the led strip light up with the same brightness as the LTZ using the Gen5diy harness or is it dimmer? I was thinking of ordering their harness also

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can speak to some of the items here. I build a number of different harnesses for this platform.

It’s my understanding the LED DRL behavior is controlled by the BCM. Chris (White Auto and Media) can do the BCM programming, but you have to send in your BCM. Meaning you won’t be able to drive the vehicle.

I make a custom harness with OEM connectors that deals with the PWM signal and will allow you to swap in the Denali/LTZ HID headlamp assemblies. I haven’t looked into the DRL behavior, but am happy to. I have a Yukon, so I’ll need a volunteer Tahoe.

Here’s the left headlamp connector. The circuits are the same across the platform for the most part. The differences are where they land in the X50A UEC (underhood electrical center).

6a362858933496c702bca549d4bc0df6.jpg

I’ll look at the DRL schematics for trucks with and without RPO T4F (HID headlamps) and see what the differences are. Perhaps (if the pins are active) it could be as simple as moving where circuits land in the X50A UEC. What I don’t know is if the BCM controls the voltage to the DRLs affecting their brightness.

For the fog lamps, a latching relay will allow you to use the factory headlamp/fog light switch to activate them via a relay harness. You just won’t have the indicator light illuminate on the cluster. I’ve been looking into creating a harness for this as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan