leaving vehicle with doors locked and engine running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that I am free of this automatic shutoff on my 07, and I'm glad, as I often leave the truck running in the summer when when I'm shopping and my dog is in the truck
only if you leave the key in the ignition, otherwise it's 10 minutes and it can be cycled twice without inserting the key again.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
only if you leave the key in the ignition, otherwise it's 10 minutes and it can be cycled twice without inserting the key again.
Yes, I do leave my key in the ignition while I am away. I'm not concerned, as my 95 lb. White German Shepherd believes that he owns the truck, and it would be a sad day for any person who opened any of the truck's doors with bad intentions.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not entirely true, it is noted that this does not work on all vehicles. On the ones it does work on it will continue to idle until out of gas.
Unless something changed on the 2023...it will time out, just a bit longer if you do this procedure. I have done this on the '21 and it gets extended but will shutoff. I have seen the TSB for the programming if you choose and its at the customers expense and liability. It defeats the shutoff entirely as you describe, but has to be programmed.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This was a safety feature, maybe something changed in new model

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
problem solved and it is easy. when starting the engine, simply hold the start button down for about 10 seconds. Your dash display will show that the shut off is overidden. thanks to all for help
Let us know if the 2023 times out after 60 minutes like previous years. havent done it in a while in my '21 but I think it extends you from 30 minutes to 60 minutes then shuts down. I wouldnt want anything to happen to your dog, thinking it will run till out of gas. For that there is the above TSb you can buy the programming.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know if the 2023 times out after 60 minutes like previous years. havent done it in a while in my '21 but I think it extends you from 30 minutes to 60 minutes then shuts down. I wouldnt want anything to happen to your dog, thinking it will run till out of gas. For that there is the above TSb you can buy the programming.
you can idle for a very long time on a tank of gas more than 24 hours on a full tank

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but not on a 2021 unless you buy the program to disable the time out. The hold the start button only gets you 30 more minutes. So your dog will be dead in the summer if you left him for an extended time thinking you get a tank of gas amount of time....you don't. It has to be disabled at the dealer at your expense. My experience is only with a 2021. So are you saying Gm did away with this safety feature on 2022-2023? and wont time out?? The TSB does only state 2021.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but not on a 2021 unless you buy the program to disable the time out. The hold the start button only gets you 30 more minutes. So your dog will be dead in the summer if you left him for an extended time thinking you get a tank of gas amount of time....you don't. It has to be disabled at the dealer at your expense. My experience is only with a 2021. So are you saying Gm did away with this safety feature on 2022-2023? and wont time out?? The TSB does only state 2021.
it just says it doesn't work on all vehicles, there is supposed to be a way to put the vehicle in service mode but when I search for it all I find is putting the transmission in neutral