Leaking timing cover fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danie Lizarraga

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whats going on everyone, I've been trying to figure out the best way to stop my truck from leaking oil but it seems impossible.
I have a 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71 4x4 5.7L and it leaks oil from the front of the oil pan/timing cover.
Ive tried to tighten the oil pan bolts more and tried to silicon the part where the oil pan and timing cover meet to stop the oil leak.

Any method yall recommend to get the timing cover to sit perfectly in the oil pan? I have an engine hoist so i can lift the engine a bit if needed.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to start fresh with a new oil pan gasket and new front/timing cover gasket.

Make sure to use: J41476 Front and Rear Cover Alignment Tool

Important:

• Do not reuse the crankshaft oil seal or front cover gasket.
  • Do not apply any type of sealant to the front cover gasket, unless specified.
  • The special tool in this procedure is used to properly center the front crankshaft front oil seal.
  • All gasket surfaces should be free of oil or other foreign material during assembly.
  • The crankshaft front oil seal MUST be centered in relation to the crankshaft.
  • An improperly aligned front cover may cause premature front oil seal wear and/or engine oil leaks

1. Apply a 5 mm (0.20 inch) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378190, or equivalent 20 mm (0.80 inch) long to the oil pan to engine block junction.
  2. Install the front cover gasket and cover.
  3. Install the front cover bolts until snug. Do not over tighten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287