Leaking oil from hose that is not connected.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

Koisokok

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
... Nope. Nothing on the cross member.
Thanks for trying..My friend has an 08 2 wd . He just went under to check for me and he has the exact hose in the exact place . ! Is that crazy. ? Only difference is mine has a small leak . Now just to find if its engine oil or transmission? ...Could be transmission fluid was topped up to much and it's an overflow tube . .

OP
OP
K

Koisokok

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree it looks like the trans vent hose. The transfer case one is back behind the transmission. If your trans is overfilled, it will eject some excess out of that tube so I would follow the proper technique to check your trans fluid. This needs to be done with trans up to operating temp, them start out in P with your foot on the brakes and slowly shift through each position including R ,N, D, 3,2,1 and leaving it in each for 5 -10 seconds and then putting it in P. Leave the engine running and go check the level. It should be between the “hot” hash marks on the dipstick. If it’s over full, you’ll need to suck some out through the dipstick tube unless you’re lucky to have an aftermarket trans pan with a drain plug. The OEM ones have a bolt there but it’s usually not removable. Don’t remove any fluid unless you’re sure it’s overfilled.
Rocket man . I looked up the hose and it definitely looks like it !! Thanks again to you and others for helping out. Really love this car and she is still hauling ass with 230k on the clock . I'll try and see if I can get some fluid out somehow , as I'm towing a small trailer back and want to make sure the transmission is ok. She pulled at max transmission temps 198 up hill flats was around 175 . Hope that is ok.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rocket man . I looked up the hose and it definitely looks like it !! Thanks again to you and others for helping out. Really love this car and she is still hauling ass with 230k on the clock . I'll try and see if I can get some fluid out somehow , as I'm towing a small trailer back and want to make sure the transmission is ok. She pulled at max transmission temps 198 up hill flats was around 175 . Hope that is ok.
175-200 degrees for trans is normal. Don’t remove fluid unless it’s overfilled by at least a couple quarts. One over isn’t enough for it to overflow out the vent tube and actually is safer than just full. But 2 over and it will probably spit out. Better to have too much as opposed to too little.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you sampled the oil that's dripping to see if you can tell what it is?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for trying..My friend has an 08 2 wd . He just went under to check for me and he has the exact hose in the exact place . ! Is that crazy. ? Only difference is mine has a small leak .

I'm a liar. I put my Tahoe on the lift last night and the first thing I went to look for was that hose. Yup- it's there. It ends right at the edge of the cross member, so it couldn't be seen unless I was able to get under it. I traced it as far as I could and it looked to go up the bell housing as if it went to the back of the block where that vent hose bracket is. My hose had a little bit of oil on the tip, but the cross member wasn't wet.

Now just to find if its engine oil or transmission?

I couldn't tell if it was engine or trans oil. I don't see how it could be engine oil. I've removed and reinstalled my engine and I would've noticed a hose connected to a source of oil.

...Could be transmission fluid was topped up to much and it's an overflow tube . .

I was rushing to get things put away in preparation for a storm and the engine and trans was hot from driving, so I couldn't investigate further. Maybe the vent located up high is an air inlet for the trans and that tube is an overflow outlet. At this point, it purging an overfill of fluid would be my guess.

Do you have the 4.8 or 5.3 flex fuel ? I have the 5.3 flex fuel would that be different configuration? ...

5.3 FlexFuel (LMG)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew