Leaking oil from hose that is not connected.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Koisokok

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello , and thanks for the add for a new member . I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe Lt with 234,000 miles . She has been serviced since day one. I'm located in Los Angeles and currently drove her to Dallas and noticed oil dripping from underneath. Her temps are great, oil pressure is good not having any issues. I went under the car to find a open ended black long house that runs back up I guess to the engine case ? The oil is dripping from there. It seems that it has been happening for a long time as some good oil build up is on the frame . I took some paper towels and wiped it down as much as I can. Just drove her for about 10 min . And it seems to have a little trickle not that much now . So my question is it supposed to be an open tube like that ? Is it blow by coming out , or drain tube ? I tried to call a chevy mechanic that I took her for service but unfortunately it a Sunday with no answer. My worry is can I continue to drive , also I have a week in Dallas then i have the long haul back. Any help would be amazing and would really appreciate it!

Attachments

• 20220320_134444.jpg
    20220320_134444.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220320_134520.jpg
    20220320_134520.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220320_134607.jpg
    20220320_134607.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 13

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the vent hose for the transmission. I can't remember if it connects to anything on the engine or not

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello , and thanks for the add for a new member . I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe Lt with 234,000 miles . She has been serviced since day one. I'm located in Los Angeles and currently drove her to Dallas and noticed oil dripping from underneath. Her temps are great, oil pressure is good not having any issues. I went under the car to find a open ended black long house that runs back up I guess to the engine case ? The oil is dripping from there. It seems that it has been happening for a long time as some good oil build up is on the frame . I took some paper towels and wiped it down as much as I can. Just drove her for about 10 min . And it seems to have a little trickle not that much now . So my question is it supposed to be an open tube like that ? Is it blow by coming out , or drain tube ? I tried to call a chevy mechanic that I took her for service but unfortunately it a Sunday with no answer. My worry is can I continue to drive , also I have a week in Dallas then i have the long haul back. Any help would be amazing and would really appreciate it!

That does look like it goes to the top of the transmission. I can't think if any other hose that would be in that area. It's supposed to go up to a bracket bolted to the righthand side stud of the top two bellhousing bolts. It should also have a vent cap on it.

Here's a pic of where the vent tube is on the trans. It's on the righthand (passenger) side, above the two fluid cooler bosses:

4d7cd6-a696-4ea6-b781-58efd195b1cd_zpsr4ywtkws-png.png

Pic of the vent cap (black end goes into hose):

ado-25892279_gp.jpg

If your Tahoe is 4WD, it could be the vent for the transfer case. It might not leak if it was upright like it should be. Or, you have a problem. How's the level of your trans fluid?

Reaction score
Like what iamdub said above. The end of the hose should go up to the firewall and it should be located near the transmission dipstick tube. Pop your hood and take a look in that area and see if you have the vent capped hose in that area.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like what iamdub said above. The end of the hose should go up to the firewall and it should be located near the transmission dipstick tube. Pop your hood and take a look in that area and see if you have the vent capped hose in that area.

That's probably an easier description to follow. Yes, it's on the next bellhousing bolt up and to the left of the one securing the trans dipstick tube.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree it looks like the trans vent hose. The transfer case one is back behind the transmission. If your trans is overfilled, it will eject some excess out of that tube so I would follow the proper technique to check your trans fluid. This needs to be done with trans up to operating temp, them start out in P with your foot on the brakes and slowly shift through each position including R ,N, D, 3,2,1 and leaving it in each for 5 -10 seconds and then putting it in P. Leave the engine running and go check the level. It should be between the “hot” hash marks on the dipstick. If it’s over full, you’ll need to suck some out through the dipstick tube unless you’re lucky to have an aftermarket trans pan with a drain plug. The OEM ones have a bolt there but it’s usually not removable. Don’t remove any fluid unless you’re sure it’s overfilled.

OP
OP
K

Koisokok

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

That's probably an easier description to follow. Yes, it's on the next bellhousing bolt up and to the left of the one securing the trans dipstick tube.

I agree it looks like the trans vent hose. The transfer case one is back behind the transmission. If your trans is overfilled, it will eject some excess out of that tube so I would follow the proper technique to check your trans fluid. This needs to be done with trans up to operating temp, them start out in P with your foot on the brakes and slowly shift through each position including R ,N, D, 3,2,1 and leaving it in each for 5 -10 seconds and then putting it in P. Leave the engine running and go check the level. It should be between the “hot” hash marks on the dipstick. If it’s over full, you’ll need to suck some out through the dipstick tube unless you’re lucky to have an aftermarket trans pan with a drain plug. The OEM ones have a bolt there but it’s usually not removable. Don’t remove any fluid unless you’re sure it’s overfilled.

Attachments

• 20220320_191743.jpg
    20220320_191743.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220320_191828.jpg
    20220320_191828.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220320_191216.jpg
    20220320_191216.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
K

Koisokok

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok guys thanks so much for replies .!! I just got to the hotel and got a chance to get under the car . It seams that that long hose is supposed to be there as it has a plastic clamp on it to the front axle . So it must go there . Now maybe a second hose attached to that that came off somehow? I'm sorry guys , I'm the one that ditched auto class and wish now I hadn't....i followed the hose but really hard to tell where it leads to ? ..checked the transmission fluid and looks ok . If anyone had a 2007 tahoe 2wd and can just look under the drivers side axle to see if you can see that hose , i owe you a nice round of drinks !

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh. It's mounted to the cross member. That's odd.

I have an '08 2WD that should be the same. I don't recall ever seeing a hose there. Mine's too low to get under but I'll try to see something...