Leaking Brake Line at Hard-Line COnnection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced my brake lines (09 Tahoe). I am getting a small leak on the passenger side where the new line is connecting to the hard-line. The brake fluid seems to be coming up through the nut (not 100% sure) but did see some fluid on top of the nut. I tried cranking down on the connection some more to where it has bottomed out - I don't want to take it further at the risk of breaking something, but it is already really snug.

Anyone here has any tips/tricks to stop the leaking?

Attaching an image of the area I am talking about - does not show the leak since I cleaned it off before the picture.
Anyway, the leak is coming from the connection and then travels down the line a bit

PXL_20220512_233502280.jpg

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mismatched fittings? I think you will have to disassemble and inspect.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find preformed brake pipes for 2009?
I think I make have to replace my hard pipe

Or maybe is there a way to re-flare the end instead of replacing the whole pipe?

I can only find pre-formed pipe for earlier models, so far. My only luck so far is to buy a spool of 16', but then I would also need to get the bending tool and all the other parts to make it happen. I would much rather find the pipe already to go

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the last crank I did on the fitting was enough to stop the leak. I have not been able to get it to do the same thing as before (test drive, slamming brakes, pulsating while turning both directions)

I guess I should be happy it's not leaking, but does have me wondering "what if,", especially out BF somewhere

Anyway, thanks for the help

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might have had a piece of grit in threads or behind flare. Other times you can "clean" existing flare with a flare tool if it somehow got dimpled on teardown. Watch it for awhile.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might have had a piece of grit in threads or behind flare. Other times you can "clean" existing flare with a flare tool if it somehow got dimpled on teardown. Watch it for awhile.
Thanks. Planning on it!