Leak in headliner near sunvisor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
So I have no sunroof. My headliner is coming undone right where it meets the windshield. When it rains heavy I noticed a drip from both the drivers side and passenger side right in front of the visors where where it meets the windshield. I peeked under it best I could and everything seemed fine. I found some threads about leaks from the shark fin but they were all around the 2016-ish models. Is there a common problem with this or is m Yukon just weird?

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s fairly common to have leaks from the actual windshield, unfortunately. The antennas (onstar) can also leak, and have replaceable seals. With no sunroof, at least that limits the possibilities some. I’d get under the headliner a bit more, to ID the location.

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
So I have no sunroof. My headliner is coming undone right where it meets the windshield. When it rains heavy I noticed a drip from both the drivers side and passenger side right in front of the visors where where it meets the windshield. I peeked under it best I could and everything seemed fine. I found some threads about leaks from the shark fin but they were all around the 2016-ish models. Is there a common problem with this or is m Yukon just weird?

Attachments

• 20230331_195806.jpg
    20230331_195806.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230331_195759.jpg
    20230331_195759.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230331_195740.jpg
    20230331_195740.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230331_195731.jpg
    20230331_195731.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
As you can see the outside seal "looks" fine. It's a pain because there is a drip right on top of the hazard button lol.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My headliner was glued up front by a PO at some point in time...

I also have a small bit of sealer that dripped down the glass in front of the passenger seat. A couple inches from the corner.

Based on this, I would take a look at the windshield.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The antenna seals can be an issue on these. Also it's hard to tell from the pic but my seal hugs the glass tighter than what it looks like in your pic. I'm not sure if there is an adhesive seal underneath the glass that might be leaking; I would think that the glass is glued in.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The antenna seals can be an issue on these. Also it's hard to tell from the pic but my seal hugs the glass tighter than what it looks like in your pic. I'm not sure if there is an adhesive seal underneath the glass that might be leaking; I would think that the glass is glued in.
Yup. The glass is glued in, with a seal on top, around the top and sides. The glue is supposed to not only hold the glass in place, but also seal the windshield 100%. The external seal is additional, but if the actual glue seal is not properly done, it will leak, whether the external seal is good or not. It has to either have a leak / space in the glue, or the antenna(s) are leaking water in. The antennas have a bolt holding them (and their rubber seal) against the roof, which could also be loose, especially if the seal has aged, becoming brittle, and cracked.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take it to a windshield shop and have them take a look. If they charge you anything it should be minimal, and you're at the right place if it turns out to be the front window. If it isn't the front window, then it is most likely one of the antennas -- but the window guys might even be able to tell you.

Two other areas of water intrusion common to these vehicles are 1) The roof rack. If your vehicle has a bit of rake (the back being taller than the front), water leaking through the mount points of the roof rack could be collecting in the front. 2) It could be a bad door seal directing water into your headliner. This one is a long shot, but costs nothing to check.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should also be able to track this down yourself using a garden hose. Just hold it over the different locations (while dry), and see at what point the water begins leaking in.

Rock Strong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's The Shark Fin Antenna, Put some silicone in the opening in the back of it. Trust Me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972