Lead acid or AGM.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read an article about lead acid and AGM in vehicles. They mentioned that there cars had to be reprogrammed if a different type of battery was installed due to the alternator charges different depending on the type of battery.If original was lead acid then replaced with AGM the charge rate is different,either over or undercharging possibly hurting the battery.There vehicles were European and Japanese.Just wondering.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
AGM batteries designed for automotive use are made to be compatible. Mostly what determines charge profile is the chemistry e.g. lead/acid vs LiFePo or something else. AGM is just a construction method where the electrolyte is suspended in the mat rather than free floating. This is a somewhat simplified version, there’s plenty of books on the topic of battery construction.

I use nothing but AGM in all of my vehicles, from motorhome house batteries to Freightliner, old Jeeps, Subaru, GM, FCA, Ford. Zero problems.

This is not to say that every car in the universe will have no problem. As carmakers get ever more tricky with energy conservation who knows what they may invent for optimizing charge?

The biggest risk to an AGM or any sealed battery is uncontrolled overcharge. Force them to vent and lose water and you can’t just top them off like open cells.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the GMT900 and earlier platforms, GM does not recommend AGM batteries for exactly the reasons you specify. I do not know about K2s or the new T1s but one can quickly find out here: https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Having said that, plenty of folks on here run those batteries without issue. I think they will not last as long as they could have but running such a battery has not caused problems for the truck.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the battery in my '15 GMC Yukon XL Denali. I did notice that the factory ACDelco battery I removed was a lead acid battery. I'm assuming it was the original based on the 2015 date on the battery; I purchased my rig CPO'd with 22K miles. Assuming it was in fact the original battery 6 years and 118K miles I feel is a pretty good life for a battery. Also, it didn't necessarily die on me I just wanted to be proactive on replacing it here before the Ohio winter starts to hit.

I replaced it with a DieHard Platinum AGM Battery.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran an Optima Red Top battery for 9 years in my 08 Avalanche. And I'm on year 2 with my Optima yellow top in my 17 Burb. Never had any issues.

I keep my Trans Am on an Optima Battery tender. Its was $100 for the tender but the Yellow top battery in the TA was Purchased July of 2005. I swear by Optima batteries. Whatever extra you pay is worth every penny in my book.

Eddie Rivera

Reaction score
I ran an Optima Red Top battery for 9 years in my 08 Avalanche. And I'm on year 2 with my Optima yellow top in my 17 Burb. Never had any issues.

I keep my Trans Am on an Optima Battery tender. Its was $100 for the tender but the Yellow top battery in the TA was Purchased July of 2005. I swear by Optima batteries. Whatever extra you pay is worth every penny in my book.
What did you do with the panel with multiple wires that attaches to the battery? I wanted to change my battery to an Optima but that panel wouldn't fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts