Last issue: Head Unit switches to "Video in"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tengelman

tengelman

Reaction score
UPDATE:

I checked the wires of the dash-sided camera harness.
the green/white has 12V as soon as I plug in the radio and keeps the 12V all over the gears.
When I jump that wire to another (except drain wire and ground of course) nothing happens.
Still the same thing:
The head unit switches to CAMERA IN and shows the rear camera signal as soon as I go to "R".
But it remains in that Camera In - mode in "N", and "D".
Only when I go back to "P" it shows radio again...

any ideas?

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull another wire from your reverse light. temporarily just to see if it solves your issues

OP
OP
tengelman

tengelman

Reaction score
..and hook up this wire with what?
There is no "reverse in" on my head unit as all this info comes from the can bus through the serial wire at the main harness.

OP
OP
tengelman

tengelman

Reaction score
Problem solved!!!! Found a good workaround!

I will put everything together tomorrow and let you know then!

OP
OP
tengelman

tengelman

Reaction score
Well now, here is my workaround.

As it seemed that it was an issue with the serial data line from the yukon to the aftermarket radio I wont use the automatic rear camera activation. The truck always activates the camera and always sends a message to the head unit. But I could deactivate the setting on the head unit so it wont switch to camera mode even when it gets the signal from the truck.
Then I pluged the RCA from the adapter to a video-in-port on the headunit which I can activate manually by pressing "Aux" on the headunit. Then I can go back from AUX manually - no matter if I am still in "R" and the camera is still activated or not.

So I have to switch over manually when I want to see the backup cam signal - but thats fine for me.

The only issue left is a light whining noise coming from the rear speakers (that ar attached to the stock amp). So I think I will also hook them up directly to the headunit.
Which is quite a problem because I dont know what cables are for the rear speakers....

In this video (Silverado) the guy says that tan/grey and lightgreen/darkgreen is front (which is exactly the same on my Yukon).
But I dont have brown/yellwo and lightblue/darkblue for rear like he has in the video. (starts at 15:34)

So if anyone has a wiring diagram for the amp-out wires for a 2011 Yukon Denali I would apreciate it....
(I dont want to cut every wire just to find out...:( )

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Well now, here is my workaround.

As it seemed that it was an issue with the serial data line from the yukon to the aftermarket radio I wont use the automatic rear camera activation. The truck always activates the camera and always sends a message to the head unit. But I could deactivate the setting on the head unit so it wont switch to camera mode even when it gets the signal from the truck.
Then I pluged the RCA from the adapter to a video-in-port on the headunit which I can activate manually by pressing "Aux" on the headunit. Then I can go back from AUX manually - no matter if I am still in "R" and the camera is still activated or not.

So I have to switch over manually when I want to see the backup cam signal - but thats fine for me.

The only issue left is a light whining noise coming from the rear speakers (that ar attached to the stock amp). So I think I will also hook them up directly to the headunit.
Which is quite a problem because I dont know what cables are for the rear speakers....

In this video (Silverado) the guy says that tan/grey and lightgreen/darkgreen is front (which is exactly the same on my Yukon).
But I dont have brown/yellwo and lightblue/darkblue for rear like he has in the video. (starts at 15:34)

So if anyone has a wiring diagram for the amp-out wires for a 2011 Yukon Denali I would apreciate it....
(I dont want to cut every wire just to find out...:( )

Just FYI... the whine in the rear speakers comes from the rear audio controls on the back of the console... it's a pretty common issue.

I ended up pulling mine out and cleaning/prying the pins a little bit to make better contact and the problem was solved.

The pins I bent slightly were for the ground wires... I want to say it was pins 13 and 15 but i can't recall for sure... I know they were in the center of the plug though. A diagram would be able to verify which ones for sure.

OP
OP
tengelman

tengelman

Reaction score
no. that whine is gone when I connect the factory head unit.
And before I bypassed the front speakers I had that whine in the front, too.
I had the same issue with my 2005 Tahoe and aftermarket radios with BOSE AMP.

So I think prying the pins would not helpt, would it?

kbuskill

Reaction score
no. that whine is gone when I connect the factory head unit.
And before I bypassed the front speakers I had that whine in the front, too.
I had the same issue with my 2005 Tahoe and aftermarket radios with BOSE AMP.

So I think prying the pins would not helpt, would it?

The easy way to tell is to hit the power button on the rear control and see if the noise stops.

OP
OP
tengelman

tengelman

Reaction score
ok. I will give it a try...
Can you tell me where exactly it is and how to acces it the easiest way?

kbuskill

Reaction score
ok. I will give it a try...
Can you tell me where exactly it is and how to acces it the easiest way?

The power button is the center button on the rear A/C/audio control panel on the back of the center console.