L94 rear main seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Escalade. Dealer says it's the rear main. $4,000. I said I'll pass.
AWD. I'm assuming the transfer case & tranny has to come down. Seems like a major job.
Is this common? 120,000 miles.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it to a good Indy transmission shop and have them replace the torque converter at the same time with an upgraded unit that has a billet cover. That plus the rear main seal will be $1500 out the door and you’ll eliminate the single biggest cause of transmission failure in the 6L80 at the same time.

Also, rear main seals regularly go 250k+ in these. Are you absolutely sure that’s where the leak is? There are more common leaks that masquerade like the rear main seal. Oil cooler line plate is one.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I waited 3 years to replace the rear main on our 09 ESV. It’s the labor that kills you.

Work the rear main seal into the major transmission / motor services at 100/150/200k miles.

Check out the $5k trans replacement and $1.5k additional it cost for the rear main, exhaust, oil pan, oil pick up tube gaskets along with servicing the front & rear diff, 4 front diff mount bushings and hydraulic motor and trans mount(s) plus poly front sway bar and end links.

$4k is a dealer technicians dream job for commission. $1.5k is a realistic Indi price. I use a diesel shop. They don’t cry and whine about pulling trans and drive lines. They do it all day and good at it. Besides a 1/2 ton Escalade is light duty to them and welcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts