L86 intake swap on a 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree...wish they would clarify better on the tune.

They mentioned stock electronics, and usually comment about an optimized tune.

I plan on pulling my intake anyway to paint the cover, might as well make the swap at that point. I will just get an assembly, paint it and have it all ready at once.

OP
OP
T

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree...wish they would clarify better on the tune.

They mentioned stock electronics, and usually comment about an optimized tune.

I plan on pulling my intake anyway to paint the cover, might as well make the swap at that point. I will just get an assembly, paint it and have it all ready at once.

That would be a good plan. Its cheap and simple and even if minimal gains the noise is worth it. I will say though do not remove the beauty cover with the manifold. Getting to the clips for the harness sucks and will just piss you off. Pull the 4 10mm bolts holding it to the manifold after you get the manifold bolts out. Lift the cover up and pull the manifold out from under it. Then put the new one on in reverse. Every video I have seen of someone pulling the manifold they pull that cover when its not needed to do so and saves time not to pull it.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen numerous posts.on that issue.

My issue is, I want to paint the cover to match my coil covers and incoming fuel rail cover

20201114_154601.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen numerous posts.on that issue.

My issue is, I want to paint the cover to match my coil covers and incoming fuel rail cover

View attachment 277569

Ah ok. Well I would pull the manifold first then fight the xmas tree clips in the back of the cover just to have that extra wiggle room to work with and get back there.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an fyi...

There has been a series of videos related to the L83, with cams.and intake swaps...all good stuff.

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an fyi...

There has been a series of videos related to the L83, with cams.and intake swaps...all good stuff.

Did you paint your covers or buy them? They look great!

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i painted mine. https://www.eastwood.com/2k-aerospray-ht-ceramic-engine-paint-gloss-red.html
looking to snag a fuel rail cover as well, once i have that painted, i will decide if i do the intake cover (but that is some work to remove)...it will also receive an airraid jr intake tube to clean it up.

below is my SBC that i also painted with this paint, it is about 3 yrs old now, and had oil and fuel spills...wipes right up and being single stage, a light polish shines it right up.

20180818_185125-2.jpg 20201114_154601.jpg

JJKNIGHT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts