Knock sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I dropped my tranny for minor work on it, and while I was in there I decided to replace the rear main seal and cover gasket. While they leaked it wasn't as bad as I expected, the main seal was leaking a bit from the lower portion, and the cover was also leaking a tiny amount through the bolts. The gasket for the rear cover was pretty brittle and it came out in pieces. The main seal on it was a national, so I assume it was changed previously, I used an alignment tool to make sure everything had proper clearance.

With that aside, I noticed that my main seal leak wasn't the main cause of the oil leakage I had. It is actually the valley cover gasket, the entire driver side of the rear block was covered in oil, it makes the oil filter and block off plate appear as if they are the ones leaking, making you believe it was just the main seal. When in reality it was mostly the valley cover gasket. I also replaced the oil pressure sending unit, so I'm sure its just the valley gasket.

Now enough rambling, my question to you guys that have done this before. Is it worth it to replace the knock sensors if they are still in working order and look in good shape? I ask this because the OEM ones aren't cheap its around $120 for them and I've already gone over budget with all the little things that I will have to replace to get to the valley pan gasket, and previous work I've done. I plan on doing all the gaskets in the intake etc... That is excluding all the other extra work going into the tranny and fluids for all the drive train components.

Thanks!

PHX396

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your in there pull the top of the engine and at least inspect them. If you clean the engine with water chances are water is in there and they are turning into a rusty mess. Took me about hour to change mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts