knock sensor selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine seems to "lose communications with vehicle" quite a bit, too. Tried various updates/firmwares and it seems to do it randomly no matter. Even trying to go in and test the e-fan relays it will crap out.

Let us know if you figure anything out there.

Can't remember if i tried win7 but current setup is
Windows 10 x64
JRE 8 x32
It happens to mine every time I try to do anything with live data. If I am just reading codes or interacting with the vehicle in any other way it’s fine. I’ve tried many of the same things you have and I don’t think it’s on the truck side because it was at a dealership a number of years ago to track down what ended up being a bad ground and they didn’t report any connection issues. If I figure anything out I’ll post back.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles? Lots of high mileage rigs injectors start to clog up.or get sticky. I've had to replace injectors on 2 out of the 3 I currently own.

You can check for vacuum leaks with a little starting fluid. Spray it around fittings and joints that could be leaking. If idle changes when you spray a spot you have a vacuum leak there.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It happens to mine every time I try to do anything with live data. If I am just reading codes or interacting with the vehicle in any other way it’s fine. I’ve tried many of the same things you have and I don’t think it’s on the truck side because it was at a dealership a number of years ago to track down what ended up being a bad ground and they didn’t report any connection issues. If I figure anything out I’ll post back.
While it has already paid for itself via the few things I've used Tech2Win for and also as a J2534 pass-thru for programming, I may break down and get a china clone tech2 handheld.

OP
OP
S

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles? Lots of high mileage rigs injectors start to clog up.or get sticky. I've had to replace injectors on 2 out of the 3 I currently own.

You can check for vacuum leaks with a little starting fluid. Spray it around fittings and joints that could be leaking. If idle changes when you spray a spot you have a vacuum leak there.
I think its in the 280k km range now so not super high mileage. I've already confirmed that the injectors are flowing as they should using the Tech2 diagnostic feature. The miss is only very slight and not very pronounced at idle. You can barely feel the misfire at idle with your hand on the engine - the only way I was able to confirm it was by watching the misfire counter on live data. I've tried the starter fluid method already with no noticeable effect.

OP
OP
S

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it has already paid for itself via the few things I've used Tech2Win for and also as a J2534 pass-thru for programming, I may break down and get a china clone tech2 handheld.
I tried to buy a clone through chinacardiags a while ago but found the process less than desirable. When ordering the website indicated that they had something in stock but after the order was confirmed I received an email indicating that shipping was delayed due to low stock and then they tried to replace it with an "upgraded" package that added extra cost. It felt like a bait and switch to me so I "chose" (took 5 emails to get to that choice) to take a refund and picked up the VCXNano. Maybe I'll try again or get lucky and find someone local selling a second hand unit.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to buy a clone through chinacardiags a while ago but found the process less than desirable. When ordering the website indicated that they had something in stock but after the order was confirmed I received an email indicating that shipping was delayed due to low stock and then they tried to replace it with an "upgraded" package that added extra cost. It felt like a bait and switch to me so I "chose" (took 5 emails to get to that choice) to take a refund and picked up the VCXNano. Maybe I'll try again or get lucky and find someone local selling a second hand unit.
I had a decent buying experience with Chinacrdiags.

System showed in stock and it was. It shipped out within a day or so.
Shipped faster than I expected via DHL. Had it in hand less than a week. Not bad from all the way over there...

Happy with the purchase!

I save a bit of money, as I just got the unit that had no hard case. I got the "box" set.
I had a Coleman backpack cooler, that is padded, good protection and perfect to grab and go somewhere without being all bulky like a hard case. You can buy one at Walmart for less than $30.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I remember your tribulations now. Bummer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094