Kirkland Oil On Sale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kaiserwillie

Reaction score
I was at Costco today and saw they had their house brand Kirkland engine oil onsale. Two 5 qt jugs for $30. I already did an oil change last month with Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 0w20 but I've been wanting to give Kirkland a try. I picked up a box of 2 and will give it a shot and get an oil analysis of the Penzoil coming out as well as the Kirkland to see how they compare. Probably won't have the results until late in the year on my 2016 Yukon SLT.

Reaction score
Interesting. What does it mean to "get an oil analysis"? By the way, I've been using Kirkland oil for about the last 3 or 4 oil changes, so that's my vested interest.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was using Amazon Basics for a while but I have switched to Mobil 1. I was told the Amazon Basics oil was made by Mobil Oil but never did get a definitive answer, so I switched.

Who makes the Kirkland Oil?

OP
OP
K

kaiserwillie

Reaction score
Interesting. What does it mean to "get an oil analysis"? By the way, I've been using Kirkland oil for about the last 3 or 4 oil changes, so that's my vested interest.
I was using Amazon Basics for a while but I have switched to Mobil 1. I was told the Amazon Basics oil was made by Mobil Oil but never did get a definitive answer, so I switched.

Who makes the Kirkland Oil?
The packaging shows its made by Warren who manufactures several brand name oils.

Yeah Warren manufactures several name brands at their facilities. There may be different additives used with the different brands they manufacture.

I saw a video of their plant and how they clean the equipment between runs so their is definitely different formulations per brand.

OP
OP
K

kaiserwillie

Reaction score
You can send a sample of your used oil to Blackstone Labs and they will test and analyze it for $35. The report they send back will show things like filter efficiency, wear metal content, how much of the oils additive pack is still left in your oil etc. They will also show if your oil change interval is too short. Just right or if you can go longer with your oil and filter setup. I'm going to have the Penzoil I just drained out tested and will also send in the Kirkland when it's time to change it.

Reaction score
You can send a sample of your used oil to Blackstone Labs and they will test and analyze it for $35. The report they send back will show things like filter efficiency, wear metal content, how much of the oils additive pack is still left in your oil etc. They will also show if your oil change interval is too short. Just right or if you can go longer with your oil and filter setup. I'm going to have the Penzoil I just drained out tested and will also send in the Kirkland when it's time to change it.
Interesting! Please share your results when you get them back, if you're comfortable doing so. Never knew such a service existed. I went on their site to order my free test kit. Thanks for the tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98