Killswitch?!?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffyrc

Bow Tie For Life
Reaction score
What's up guys. This is my FIRST thread. I'm sure you've seen me around asking ? After ?. I just want to say that everyone on here is awesome (aside from the fact that you own a GM/Chevy) allways willing to help out, offer their opinion and very knowledgeable. With that being said, this thread is about KILLSWITCH'S. I was thinking about installing one on my rig. Has anybody done this and if so do you have any pics or maybe some advice about it. Any and all info is welcome. I LOVE THIS DAM WEBSITE!!!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 on my 85 K5 blazer, both are inline to my fuel pump power, one is very well hidden while the other isn't so much!! If I kinda wanna lock it down, I just flip the not so hidden one and when I really wanna make sure my truck doesn't get stolen I lock them both down!!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way to do it if you dont already have an alarm is with a relay and a switch. Cut the starter wire and wire it to a relay and also wire the positive horn wire (under the hood) to the relay. When you flip the kill switch on to engergize the relay, the relay will then reroute the voltage to the horn wire when the starter wire is energized. So if somebody tries to start it with the kill switch on, it will not only not start, but it will honk the horn each time he tries to start !! This can all be done for under 20 bucks in parts.

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
Best way to do it if you dont already have an alarm is with a relay and a switch. Cut the starter wire and wire it to a relay and also wire the positive horn wire (under the hood) to the relay. When you flip the kill switch on to engergize the relay, the relay will then reroute the voltage to the horn wire when the starter wire is energized. So if somebody tries to start it with the kill switch on, it will not only not start, but it will honk the horn each time he tries to start !! This can all be done for under 20 bucks in parts.

o rly

OP
OP
jeffyrc

jeffyrc

Bow Tie For Life
Reaction score

Do you have any pics of the setup without compromising anything. Maybe you can PM me with a little more details. I have the stock alarm from Chevy.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of the setup without compromising anything. Maybe you can PM me with a little more details. I have the stock alarm from Chevy.

No, I do not have any pics. I dont have one on any of my current vehicles, I have alarms with built in kill switches in my present vehicles. I have done this setup to about a dozen or so cars in the past between my vehicles and my brothers and friends cars and all. You can also wire in a flashing 12volt LED if you want. I did that on one old Cutlass I had. When the kill switch was on, there was a blinking red light on the dash like an alarm.
If you guys are seriously interested, I can maybe drw up a wiring diagram or something. I am not good at drawibng though, it may be easier to just explain it.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Here is a basic rundown of how to wire a killswitch like I described above. First, you need a basic 12v 5 terminal relay, and a 2 prong rocker switch. You want to wire one side of the rocker switch to a ground. The run a wire from the other side of the rocker switch to terminal 86 on the relay. Now you need to cut the vehicle's starter wire. Take the side going toward the engine and wire that end to terminal 87a on the relay. Now take the end from the ign switch and wire that end to both terminal 30 and 85. To do this, you really want to wire it to 30 and put a small jumper from 30 to 85. Now run a wire from terminal 87 to the horn wire under the hood. you will need to run a wire thru the firewall and get to the horn itself. Now, when you flip the rocker switch, the horn should honk every time you turn the key. When the switch is off, the vehicle will start like normal.

b1-con.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeffyrc

jeffyrc

Bow Tie For Life
Reaction score
Nice. Instructions make it sound easy. I'm used to messing rc cars so!!! I do have one ? Do I run the jumper wire from terminal 30 to 85 or 86?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a killer idea Scotty, I'm gonna have to do that to my other K5!! Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442