Kicker L7T 8" in stock box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
What do you guys think about putting the new Kicker L7T 8" in the stock enclosure in the back panel? The depth is fine, but dp you think since the round hole has to be notched out, will the box be to fragile?

Sub specs:
https://www.kicker.com/8-inch-l7t-4-ohm-subwoofer

I don't have the time to make a box back there or the mola to find the mtx box for a 10".
What you guys think can maximize that box? Someone put a jbl in there with over 4" depth so who kmows

https://caraudiotips.blogspot.com/2012/12/2000-2006-chevy-tahoe-factory-sub.html?m=1

The box in the middle of the seats are 2 of those pioneer shallow 8" boxes with Kicker compRT in them. The amp for the last sub in the box is going in the empty spot near the mrv-m350

Dan O

20190913_181244.jpg 20190913_181239.jpg 20190913_181232.jpg

Last edited:

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a planet audio 8 inch sub in the back enclosure fit perfectly all I had to do was bend the tab down around the mounting holes on the sub itself didn't have to touch the box at all. It's a 1200 watt dual voice coil sub. It is one of the best i have ever bought and and for the price it can't be beat at least in this application only paid 32 bucks for it on Amazon.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless making the cutout square cuts into a portion of the box thats not as thick as the round portion meant for the OEM round, then I do not see an integrity issue with the box.

What kind of wattage are you going to drive it with? Its a little more surface area then a round, but the real advantage comes from its power handling.

OP
OP
OB 04Denali

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
Unless making the cutout square cuts into a portion of the box thats not as thick as the round portion meant for the OEM round, then I do not see an integrity issue with the box.

What kind of wattage are you going to drive it with? Its a little more surface area then a round, but the real advantage comes from its power handling.
The L7T is 350 RMS. I'm probably going to forget all the crazy Hassel and put a kicker comp R 8" and call it a day. I've read others putting that one in with no issues. That was is 300 RMS.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well aware of the Kicker woofer rating, just curious if you are going to drive a higher then OEM woofer with more then the OEM amp wattage. I guess the point im getting at is, a 350W rms rate woofer will perform the same as a 150W rms rated woofer, if both are powered with the same 150W rms amp. The rating of the woofer does not = performance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OB 04Denali

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
Well aware of the Kicker woofer rating, just curious if you are going to drive a higher then OEM woofer with more then the OEM amp wattage. I guess the point im getting at is, a 350W rms rate woofer will perform the same as a 150W rms rated woofer, if both are powered with the same 150W rms amp. The rating of the woofer does not = performance.

Oh, sorry. I don't have any OEM stereo equipment hooked up, everything is after market I did myself.

Pdx-v9 is for 2 hertz front components and hertz in rear door. And 2 8" comp rt in between the center console
Mrv-f300 is for the 2 c pillar tweeters i modified the opening for 2 3.5" kickers and bridged for a 6.5" sub for the center console.
Next is on order is pdx m6 I got a great deal on for most likely 8" comp r in the back OEM box I just put in today and a 3rd pioneer shallow box with an 8" comp rt in between the captains chairs.

I was thinking before about the L7T but is the hassle moddifing the box worth it for 20% more cone space and 50 more watts? Ehhhhh. Prally not.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad, I thought it was an OEM woofer housing and maybe OEM amp.

ge0rgin0

Reaction score
I put a planet audio 8 inch sub in the back enclosure fit perfectly all I had to do was bend the tab down around the mounting holes on the sub itself didn't have to touch the box at all. It's a 1200 watt dual voice coil sub. It is one of the best i have ever bought and and for the price it can't be beat at least in this application only paid 32 bucks for it on Amazon.

Dude what amp did u use?
I just burned one up... Planet Audio sending me a replacement FREE should get it Monday via UPS after they Processed my warranty as a Field Destroy, i talked to them on phone... They said my KICKER cx600.1 was fine at 2ohms if wired in Parrallel (<meant to say that & not "series"). The woofer is rated supposedly for "600rms" psshhh yea right. You probably giving that AC8D like 150-200 watts of juice huh thats why its still alive lol

Last edited: