Keys locked in car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ssshhhhh, I zip-tie a key snug up to a part on the body or frame.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep my ignition key on a separate little quick-disconnect key ring from my fob and other keys. Then, I just leave the key in the ignition, grab the others, lock the doors and do my thing.
I'm thinking of the past several cars I had and wondering when the last one had a keyed ignition. I think it was the 2005 5 series. I could be wrong, I don't think there is any way to start the engine on a 2015+ Tahoe/Yukon with a traditional key.

You could unlock the doors with one, but you would have to rob one of your fobs of the little integrated key to do that. In doing so, you would lose the ability to use a keyring with that fob since the loop is part of the integrated key. Maybe not a showstopper.

I think it's 2017 and I've chosen to embrace the tech. Again, it's not clear to me that we need an OnStar subscription for the keyfob app commends to work. I let everything lapse that would lapse on my subscription and my app still works. Someone said there's a 5-year commitment to certain features. I wonder what the out-year cost will be to maintain that.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2014 Chevy traverse, onstar subscription lapsed as I only had it for the months. I'm still able to use there lock and unlock features as well as the car alarm.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I keep a magnetic box hidden under my truck with a spare in case i get locked out or lose the key.
I used to work for the DOT yrs ago. Do you know how many of those magnetic key boxes I used to find on the highway? TONS!!

TerryKing

Reaction score
So I just locked the keys to my 2015 Yukon XL in the car...while it was running.

I didn't think it was supposed to be able to do that?

Anyone else have this happen before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have locked myself out 3 times. It is very easy to open the door, lean on the door with your elbow and hit the $%^&* LOCK button. A passenger could also do this exiting passenger seat.

After a 30 mile round trip in a borrowed car last week to get my wife's keys, I modified both lock-unlock rocker switches with a very small 2mm screw so they can NOT move to LOCK, only to UNLOCK. Grrr....

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very weird right.... it happened to me with in a few weeks of getting the truck. I had left my keys and phone inside the truck. I had it running, I got out the truck to go and clock out. Came back and it was locked. I had to called my wife to bring spear remote. Very weird and has never happend again.
Wow that weird

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan