Keys…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knuckledown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for a little extra lift on an ‘03 Tahoe 4x4. Not interested in more than 2-2.5”. Presently running 285/75R16 - Rig is trimmed and no rubbing but otherwise stock w exception of Timbren bumps in the rear. Used as a camping rig on BLM and forrest service roads. Planning on cranking the stock keys to level. Does cranking up the keys require longer shocks and or mounts? Near term plan is to put on 5100s and new coils (Z71 or other, maybe Dayton HDs). Will this require extended shock mounts in the front or rear? New UCAs?

What is the primary difference between stock keys and all the aftermarket indexed keys? At what point does one need to buy aftermarket keys? Are there keys that one should stay away from? Do the MaxxSuspension or similar high end keys increased functionality / capability? Are they worth the price?

Thanks in advance.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a little extra lift on an ‘03 Tahoe 4x4. Not interested in more than 2-2.5”. Presently running 285/75R16 - Rig is trimmed and no rubbing but otherwise stock w exception of Timbren bumps in the rear. Used as a camping rig on BLM and forrest service roads. Planning on cranking the stock keys to level. Does cranking up the keys require longer shocks and or mounts? Near term plan is to put on 5100s and new coils (Z71 or other, maybe Dayton HDs). Will this require extended shock mounts in the front or rear? New UCAs?

What is the primary difference between stock keys and all the aftermarket indexed keys? At what point does one need to buy aftermarket keys? Are there keys that one should stay away from? Do the MaxxSuspension or similar high end keys increased functionality / capability? Are they worth the price?

Thanks in advance.

"Lift" keys are reindexed so they have more adjustment than stock. You can crank yours as much as they'll go and, if it's not enough lift, you'll need lift keys. They kinda pick up where the originals maxed out at. Their minimum is around the original key's maximum, so to speak. They do nothing other than reindex the "zero point". A 2" lift achieved by cranking the stock keys versus a 2" lift with lift keys will have no difference in ride quality or range of travel between the two methods. I'm not saying you can get 2" out of the stock keys, though. Maybe, maybe not. I just threw those numbers in as an example.

It'd cost you nothing but a few minutes to go crank your stock ones and see what you can get.

Ideally, you would get longer shocks since you would then be 2-2.5" closer to the max extension of the shocks. Granted, you'll likely bottom out the control arm before the shock, but, still. The 5100s would be a great choice.

Personally, I wouldn't go for more than 1.5" or so with keys. Also, you might need aftermarket upper control arms for your amount of lift. It'll depend on your starting point since you might be sagging an inch or so from aged torsion bars.

OP
OP
K

Knuckledown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why do you only recommend 1.5” How would you know if the torsion bars are worn out. And are you saying that no matter how much you crank the keys the ride quality is degraded?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you only recommend 1.5”

1.5" is a general safe zone. When you account for the total amount of travel in the suspension, putting it closer to maximum "droop/extension" by 1.5" isn't detrimental. It's still 1.5" lost. But, most travel is "bump/compression" (upward travel). If you don't do any serious offroading, these factors are less critical.

How would you know if the torsion bars are worn out.

With these things, age and mileage are pretty much a guarantee of their wear. lol
It's the nature of torsion bars. Any spring, really. But, torsion bars relax a lot with age and use. Ever noticed how so many high-mileage GMT800s look lowered and all they need is a 2" spindle to look like a 4" front drop on a GMT900? My point about the sagging bars was that you might could "lift" it an inch or so just by installing some fresh springs (torsion bars) with the stock keys adjusted to their current positions rather than performing extra lifting measures to to overcome their sagging to lift it where you want it.

Generally speaking, new bars would be more firm. So, if it's currently what you could call "soft and flexy" and you don't wanna change that, then keep your bars and lift it otherwise, accordingly. Shocks play a factor in ride quality, but not ride height.

And are you saying that no matter how much you crank the keys the ride quality is degraded?

The way the suspension works on these is there's a dense foam rubber thing in the front that looks like a bump stop, mounted in the frame, directly above a pad on the top of the lower control arm. It's actually called a "jounce bumper" and it supplements the spring/suspension system. The lower control arm is supposed to lightly rest on this at ride height. When you lift it, there will then be a gap between the arm and this bumper. During up travel, the arm moves freely for the first few degrees of travel then it contacts this bumper. This is one aspect to lifting a torsion bar suspension affecting ride quality. The other is control arm angles. When the arms are flat or even upward, they can absorb more shock/motion. The more they're angled downward, the more resistant to shock/motion they will be, feeling stiffer. Picture them as table legs and the sprung weight (frame, body, engine, you, etc.) is the tabletop. If the table legs are bowed outward at a nearly flat angle, they won't support much weight and you can easily put that tabletop on the ground. The legs (suspension) would be soft. If the legs are straight vertical, you'd have a much more difficult time pushing that tabletop down and it'll support a lot of weight. The legs (suspension) would be very rigid. No, your control arms will never droop straight down, perpendicular to the ground. But, anything angled downward beyond flat (parallel to the ground) will be exponentially increasingly firmer. It's not linear as multiple arcs are involved, but that's beyond the scope of this example. It's not just that lifting by cranking the keys will adversely affect the ride. It's that, when it's lifted, whether it be from new springs or cranked keys or "lift" keys, the control arms will increase in angle along with the amount of lift. Being reasonable about it will minimize any effects, likely being undetected.

For the most part, it won't be an issue if you have good shocks. But, keep the full function of this suspension in mind when modding it.

OP
OP
K

Knuckledown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great explanation, thank you. Do you think it wise then, to replace torsion bars as a general rule of thumb. Are they a wearable lifetime item that folks just don’t replace because they don’t know better or they are too big a PITA for dealer/local mechanic/vehicle owner to bother with?

So given that explanation, is the same true for the “bump/jounce” stop in the rear of the vehicle, or is it a just a movement stop? I replaced the rears in mine with Timbren stops and the ride is definitely stiffer. Was considering replacing the front w Timbren stops too, but am concerned the ride will become even rougher without any functional improvement. Shocks are at 60k and need to replaced and the rear coil springs are original. Not looking for cosmetic modifications but functional improvemets that will improve the vehicle capability.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great explanation, thank you. Do you think it wise then, to replace torsion bars as a general rule of thumb. Are they a wearable lifetime item that folks just don’t replace because they don’t know better or they are too big a PITA for dealer/local mechanic/vehicle owner to bother with?

They're springs, so they will fatigue and weaken just like coil springs. Springs support the weight of the vehicle, so if they're weaker, the vehicle will sit lower. Most everyone doesn't replace them because it's rarely a concern. Worn springs ride softer, so they're probably fine with 'em as-is. They're really not a PITA to replace at all. If yours is sitting lower than it should be and the keys don't have much more room to be cranked up, then the bars are probably worn out.

So given that explanation, is the same true for the “bump/jounce” stop in the rear of the vehicle, or is it a just a movement stop? I replaced the rears in mine with Timbren stops and the ride is definitely stiffer. Was considering replacing the front w Timbren stops too, but am concerned the ride will become even rougher without any functional improvement. Shocks are at 60k and need to replaced and the rear coil springs are original. Not looking for cosmetic modifications but functional improvemets that will improve the vehicle capability.

Yes, the ones in the rear are "movement stops". The Timbrens basically act the same as the front jounce stops- they supplement the springs. Replacing the OE jounce stops in the front with Timbrens would certainly result in a firmer ride. They're bigger, so you'd have to crank it up to get the control arm to just lightly touch them.

Honestly, for a 2-2.5" front lift, I'd use 3" spindles and de-crank the bars half an inch, or wherever lowers it to where I wanted it as well as leveled it side to side. If the jounce stops are too squished, trim them a hair. Or, just keep the 3" lift.

Superstachebro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Question on the front upper control arms and a key lift. Now that I lifted about 2" with the keys, my jounce stops are not contacting the lower arm while parked.

Does this mean I need the new shocks, or should I add some spacers on the lower control arm so it will contact?
I made these in the shop and tested them on the old arms.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220708-181107_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220708-181107_Gallery.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak