Keyless entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jconde

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently got a 2005 Yukon XL Denali it came with a keyless entry remote which didn't work. I've tried to get the car into programming mode via these instructions:

But the door locks always cycle before I finish the On off On off sequence. Sometimes the horn beeps and the lights flash as well.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong? Is it a better plan to give up on the installed system and get a third party one? Any suggestions for that?

Thanks for your help,

John

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine recently stopped working (after 21 yrs). I troubleshot it a couple times, it only partially worked. Ended up just replacing it.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be one of the driver customization settings for lock/unlock?
The settings selected from scrolling through the menu button on the steering wheel?
Maybe something there is set to unlock when key on and in park...

Take a look. Maybe that can be disabled.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently got a 2005 Yukon XL Denali it came with a keyless entry remote which didn't work. I've tried to get the car into programming mode via these instructions:

But the door locks always cycle before I finish the On off On off sequence. Sometimes the horn beeps and the lights flash as well.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong? Is it a better plan to give up on the installed system and get a third party one? Any suggestions for that?

Thanks for your help,

John

I would shy away from 3rd party systems. They can do weird stuff to the electronics and can cause parasitic battery drain.

Stupid question, but have you tried replacing the battery in the remote? And during the key cycling procedure, you're doing it fairly quickly, right? Like cycling the key on and off twice within 5 seconds or so.

OP
OP
J

jconde

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine recently stopped working (after 21 yrs). I troubleshot it a couple times, it only partially worked. Ended up just replacing it.
Replaced it with what? Or maybe the question is what specifically did you replace.

OP
OP
J

jconde

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would shy away from 3rd party systems. They can do weird stuff to the electronics and can cause parasitic battery drain.

Stupid question, but have you tried replacing the battery in the remote? And during the key cycling procedure, you're doing it fairly quickly, right? Like cycling the key on and off twice within 5 seconds or so.

Battery in the remote was the first thing I tried, but the remote doesn't enter into the problem I'm having. I can't even attempt to program the remote until after I get the truck into programming mode, which is what's not working at this point.

Tried many times with different timings nothing seems to work.

Can someone confirm that the procedure listed at that link actually should work? Or is there a different procedure to try?

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone confirm that the procedure listed at that link actually should work? Or is there a different procedure to try?

That's the procedure I used when I re-programmed my fobs. Maybe try following along with a youtube video to see their timings?

OP
OP
J

jconde

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could it be one of the driver customization settings for lock/unlock?
The settings selected from scrolling through the menu button on the steering wheel?
Maybe something there is set to unlock when key on and in park...

Take a look. Maybe that can be disabled.
You were correct, once I turned off the "unlock in park" setting the sequence worked and now so does my key fob.

Problem solved.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wooohoo!
What a lucky guess that was!! I'm playin' the lottery tonight.

That was just me talking myself through the list of possibilities on what might trigger the locks to activate a lock or unlock command.

We had absolutely nothing to lose in checking the status of that user setting; and testing whether or not that was preventing the fob learning process from initiating. I figured we might, at the very least, be able to rule it out as having any part of the problem and it would be a no cost easy thing to cross off the list of possible causes.

Many times, something we would never even consider as a contributing factor, is.

The fact that you mentioned the door locks cycled when you were turning the ignition on or off was huge! Those are the kind of details that can really help other forum members work through what is happening (or not happening) in a logical process to see if we can solve the riddle of the day.

Had we not looked into this possibility, I wonder if next steps would have involved more unneeded parts, more money or you just giving up.

I am really happy you were able to get your issue solved easily and at no out of pocket cost to you! Except for maybe the button battery you bought for the fobs. At least those are set for a while now...