KeyFob programing via Tech2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to pose this question to the group - I have a Tech2 and was trying to help a buddy program 2 new fobs for his 2012 Sierra. I was able to program my new fob earlier last week without too much trouble-although I think I did the clear existing fobs. On my buddy's truck, I was trying to just add fobs into the 2 blank spaces but got an error message indicating it could not do this task (some variation of that verbiage) and wonder if I need to clear the existing fobs from the Sierra. The truck shows 2 although he only has 1 and it is working - was able to do the key test which tells me the Tech2 is communicating. Any thoughts from the group that have done an add??? Thanks!

Reaction score
You usually have to program all the fobs at the same time. So if you have 2 already programed and want to add 1, then you need to program all 3

OP
OP
Fubar0715

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You usually have to program all the fobs at the same time. So if you have 2 already programed and want to add 1, then you need to program all 3
I would have done that but I was apprehensive to clear all his fobs - cuz, well, not my ride. However, if the consensus is this is the way, then happy to take another run at it..I know it should just work but don't want to screw up his truck. Mine, whatever! lol

OP
OP
Fubar0715

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody has run into this issue with adding Fobs? Was hoping to hear from someone with a definitive answer saying the best way to add - anybody?? Is this mic on??? lol

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the Sierra's battery is fully charged, consider powering the Tech-2 with an external battery or the 120V adapter. I have programmed individual fobs with the Tech-2 and have also wiped the slate clean and started over without issue.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody has run into this issue with adding Fobs? Was hoping to hear from someone with a definitive answer saying the best way to add - anybody?? Is this mic on??? lol

No help here, I only had a spare key cut and mated, but never got around to having the fob programed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons