Keeping coolant and transmission temps under control when towing in the summer heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not cut any holes in my front fascia at all. The trans cooler/fan is at an angle so
the heat getting sucking thru goes down and backwards. I didn't want to aim the heated
air back into the engine compartment.
I would imagine that cutting holes up front would greatly increase the coolers efficiency for sure.
I have not found the need to cut air holes (yet, anyway).
When I turn on my trans fan my temps come down 10-15* within a short time

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks bud. Things have been pretty rough. My Doberman (12 y/o) end up with bone cancer and we spent the better half of 6 months fighting it, and then eventually had to make the call for her, since she wasn’t ready to give up regardless of how bad she was hurting. I spend more time with and am closer to my dog than 95% of parents are with their kids. I would say in the last seven years I spent anywhere between 18-24hrs with her each day. With most parents working and/or their kids playing sports or doing whatever kids do these days, theirs no way they would spend that much time together, it wouldn’t be healthy for either of them. It’s been like a flying front kick square to the chest.
Then add fuel to the fire with my uncles dementia spirally way out of control. His daughter and some friends stepped in because they thought he was “fine” and his issues can be “cured”. I don’t remember ever reading about a cure for dementia (FTD or otherwise) in Med school. They all have since bailed but only after ransacking his house and taking what they wanted. Of course he thinks my wife and I took everything. One of the stories he told was that we snuck over in the middle of the night, woke him up, drugged him, and then stole what we wanted after rearranging a different room in the house each night.

On a positive note….? The state is stepping in to get him placement before he hurts himself, and we are picking up a new dobe pup around the end of the month. I’m hoping that having another shadow around will pull my @$$ out of the funk I’ve been in for the last few months.

So…yeah. Yes and no, everything is okay. Or at least “I’m fine” has been the lie that I’d been telling myself. I havent even driven or worked on my truck since last June. Other than her appts, I didn’t have any reason to leave home so I spent as much time as I could with her knowing full well I wouldn’t ever get to make that time up once she was gone.

This posting is obviously not the proper place for this public service announcement, but I figure by the time those few on here who know me have read it I will delete it. Plus by then I won’t have to explain things ten different times. If I had ever gotten around to my build page I would have put it there, but either way I would have done the same thing there. So if you’re still reading this, then congratulations… youve made it to the end.
Ugh. Family stuff can get real bad so I’m sorry to hear about all of the drama and your uncle’s illness more generally. I have a former coworker who was one of the most brilliant, capable people I’ve ever known who’s suffering from FTD right now also. Sucks. He’s a marathon runner and it turns out that exercise is about the best thing for it, but there’s no stopping or curing it - only slowing it down a little. I worked with him on the last research paper he contributed to before he left the company on leave. He was starting to show some signs in the way he spoke in meetings but while we noticed it, none of us had any idea what was happening for him. Turns out he didn’t either at the time. His Facebook feed has been quiet for a few months now, so we’re worried about him but none of us know his wife and are afraid to ask how he is. So sad.

Sorry about the dog, too. That sucks but he had a pretty long life for a larger dog. I’m a basket case when I lose an animal, blubbering like a baby.

Anyway, glad to have you back.

The Derale cooler behind the lower grille is working great. Like Wes, I drilled out the holes for airflow. That plus the thermostatically controlled fan built into it is working perfect for maintaining healthy fluid temps year round. I’ve taken it in deep dune sand on the beach at the OBX, and no problems. And so far the car wash hasn’t taken off my front plate so my mounting approach seems to be suitable for anything I throw at it.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not cut any holes in my front fascia at all. The trans cooler/fan is at an angle so
the heat getting sucking thru goes down and backwards. I didn't want to aim the heated
air back into the engine compartment.
I would imagine that cutting holes up front would greatly increase the coolers efficiency for sure.
I have not found the need to cut air holes (yet, anyway).
When I turn on my trans fan my temps come down 10-15* within a short time
I can definitely see why you wouldn’t want to push anymore hot air back to the engine compartment. Are your fans electronically switched? With as long as this thread had gotten and all of us having different set ups, some of it can be hard to keep track of, so my apologies ahead of time. I’m sure you’ve discussed this several pages back.
Are you running the Derale as well?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. That’s good to hear. I had to cut out the plastic for my matching bottom billet as well. Maybe I didn’t have to take out as much as I did, but like you said, it provided MUCH better airflow doing so.

Even with those cold temps you didn’t add the bypass correct? Parked in a garage and rarely ever getting cold enough to warrant the need?

I thought you changed out one of your fans after doing the rad swap…or maybe that was one of the other guys. I thought I remember a couple people adding a bigger fan to one side.
it doesn't get cold enough here for a bypass, I was just traveling out of state during the winter and that's the temps I saw.
I did change one of my fan motors and connector because the motor somewhat shorted out and melted the contact and harness a bit
I only caught it because I was poking around under the hood and noticed only one fan was working and I was kind of suspicous because they were not a noisy as usuall

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can definitely see why you wouldn’t want to push anymore hot air back to the engine compartment. Are your fans electronically switched? With as long as this thread had gotten and all of us having different set ups, some of it can be hard to keep track of, so my apologies ahead of time. I’m sure you’ve discussed this several pages back.
Are you running the Derale as well?
I have mine set up on a toggle switch (ignition hot). That way I don't accidentally leave
it on.
It came with the thermostatic deal that would turn it on/off.. But I'm a control freak
and I want to be able to turn it to ON like when I'm hooking up a camper or getting
ready to pull a hill or whatever in hot weather

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine set up on a toggle switch (ignition hot). That way I don't accidentally leave
it on.
It came with the thermostatic deal that would turn it on/off.. But I'm a control freak
and I want to be able to turn it to ON like when I'm hooking up a camper or getting
ready to pull a hill or whatever in hot weather
Ok…I thought my memory was slowly coming back. That’s a smart idea for the control freak individuals, esp with the ignition “hot” wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518