Kbuskill's 2008 Burb LTZ "MOD" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to come up with a locking system on the nut and reflectors with a release clip/button using possibly a high temp gasket or rubber seal. It’s kinda lame how the threads are a one and done use.
I miss my 8.0s , the cutoff and color was like sex for the eyes. I had the morimoto xb 5500 hid kit.View attachment 280683
I have everything ready for the rado but I’ve been deciding on what to do exactly.
I agree. At least the Acme’s seem to come back off. I mean, even if the nuts lock on like with the Morimoto’s if they aren’t tight enough you can still grab the projector and twist it so what’s the point. Other than they don’t want you to be able to reuse either the projectors or the headlights or both.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I agree. At least the Acme’s seem to come back off. I mean, even if the nuts lock on like with the Morimoto’s if they aren’t tight enough you can still grab the projector and twist it so what’s the point. Other than they don’t want you to be able to reuse either the projectors or the headlights or both.

I am currently waiting for the replacement parts to come in. When they get here I will try removing the nut and see what happens.

I requested a new reflector housing, lock nut, and Motoholder base/w screws.

I hate that I will have to bake that light back open, BUT at least I know what to expect this time.

Have any of you ever had a problem getting the little tiny bulb holder screws out of the projector?

As mentioned earlier... 1 screw head broke completely off, 1 screw is evidently stripped in the housing because when I try to remove it, it just turns but doesn't come out. The 3rd screw head is stripped.

They are very small and delicate evidently.

I removed them to install the projectors into the headlight housings and I didn't want to tighten the lock nut up too much so I just snugged them and installed the bulb holders.

After having the projectors on for a while, while trying to level them, I brought them back inside to remove the bulb holder base so I could get to the lock nut to tighten it and that is when the head broke off of the top screw of the bulb holder.

I don't know if it was because of the heat or what but I will definitely be more careful with this next one.

Do you guys install the bulb holders while leveling or leave them off until you tighten the lock nut?

I can't imagine trying to hold the bulb in place while trying to level the projector.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently waiting for the replacement parts to come in. When they get here I will try removing the nut and see what happens.

I requested a new reflector housing, lock nut, and Motoholder base/w screws.

I hate that I will have to bake that light back open, BUT at least I know what to expect this time.

Have any of you ever had a problem getting the little tiny bulb holder screws out of the projector?

As mentioned earlier... 1 screw head broke completely off, 1 screw is evidently stripped in the housing because when I try to remove it, it just turns but doesn't come out. The 3rd screw head is stripped.

They are very small and delicate evidently.

I removed them to install the projectors into the headlight housings and I didn't want to tighten the lock nut up too much so I just snugged them and installed the bulb holders.

After having the projectors on for a while, while trying to level them, I brought them back inside to remove the bulb holder base so I could get to the lock nut to tighten it and that is when the head broke off of the top screw of the bulb holder.

I don't know if it was because of the heat or what but I will definitely be more careful with this next one.

Do you guys install the bulb holders while leveling or leave them off until you tighten the lock nut?

I can't imagine trying to hold the bulb in place while trying to level the projector.

Any tips would be appreciated.
I’ve never had a problem. They’re #1 Phillips. And yes I put the holders on to hold the bulbs while I level the projectors. They thread in super easy, so I’m thinking maybe you used the wrong screws. I know there’s always leftover screws when I’m bone. Those are super fine machine thread iirc, and I’m sure they’re #1 Phillips head.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just remembered I have a set of Acme’s here waiting on a swap out ( long story) and I remember they use the exact same screws as the Morimotos so I pulled a screw out so you can see. I have removed them from projectors that have been in use a long time too, no issues.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Ok, I just remembered I have a set of Acme’s here waiting on a swap out ( long story) and I remember they use the exact same screws as the Morimotos so I pulled a screw out so you can see. I have removed them from projectors that have been in use a long time too, no issues.

View attachment 280739 View attachment 280740

My Morimoto 8.0s came with the Motoholder/bulb holders already attached to the back of the projectors so I just removed the screws they had in them and then reinstalled the same screws.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Morimoto 8.0s came with the Motoholder/bulb holders already attached to the back of the projectors so I just removed the screws they had in them and then reinstalled the same screws.
Weird that you had problems with them. Did they thread in easy? Maybe they got cross-threaded. The holders are keyed to only go on one way, could you have got them turned so the holes didn’t quite line up? Two of the holes are closer together.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Weird that you had problems with them. Did they thread in easy? Maybe they got cross-threaded. The holders are keyed to only go on one way, could you have got them turned so the holes didn’t quite line up? Two of the holes are closer together.

They went in fine and the holes lined up. It was like after they got hot they seized up.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
I probably should just wait until the parts come in and they are fixed, but when I pulled the lights again the other day to trim some metal behind them and get them to fit a little better to the body, I inserted a big screwdriver into the back of the projector housing where the bulb goes and tried to rotate it. It evidently rotated a little bit, so little in fact that I didn't even realize it moved... until tonight when I went out after dark to readjust the height of the headlights and discovered that it is pretty much level now.

It may not be 100% perfectly level but it is definitely way better than before.

I just wanted to post these pics to show the color of the bulbs and the pretty colors of the cutoff lines...
rps20210601_224554_516.jpg
The building is actually an off white or light tan color so probably not the best to show the color of the bulbs but it is the closest place for me to go to level the lights on a big wall.

And here is a picture showing the colors of the cutoff lines...
rps20210601_224757_192.jpg

I think the problem that I have with the color is that I am used to seeing my 6k HIDs that I had in the original housings and these are obviously 5k so they are less white/blue.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I have the 8.0s and Lightwerkz lists the bulbs as Morimoto XB 5000k... to be honest I am thinking about changing out to the 6000k bulbs because the ones I have look more like halogen color than the bright white like yours.

Maybe the bulbs just haven't "burnt" in good yet.
Yea I buy all my stuff from lightwerkz now too. I think the 5500 was a perfect color, but if there’s no option 6000k would look better than 5000k. And I’ve never heard the term of bulbs being “burnt” in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9