Kbuskill's 2008 Burb LTZ "MOD" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, kind of... it popped up "Engine Hot, A/C Turned Off" on my way home from church the other night.

No CEL but I had to clear a pending P0128 Thermostat malfunction code in order to get the message to go away and the cooling fans to turn off.

I checked everything and the truck wasn't overheating... coolant level was good and the OBD2 data showed 142°.

Evidently GM, in all of their infinite wisdom, decided that if your vehicle takes too long to get up to operating temperature they will make the DIC tell you that your truck is overheating... lol

After the restrictor install the truck gets up to 192°- 194° just like before and no more issues.

Good info. And further evidence that the vital gauges aren't for reporting actual stats. The PCM can make them do whatever it's programmed to do. ******* them out to draw attention and/or displaying urgent warnings in the DIC are just entry-level measures enabling us to not have to pay attention when we drive. Next level is side warning detection, then cameras all around, then steering that corrects when you drift, then cars that park themselves...

MAKE AMERICA DRIVE AGAIN!!!

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Where did you order this fine piece of Aluminum? I want to grab a bigger rad before I install my blower.

Autoplicity was the cheapest place I found it...

https://autoplicity.com/14023621-cold-case-radiators-gmt569a

This is the version with the engine oil cooler in the driver side tank.

It was $302.71 shipped when I bought mine a few weeks ago... now it shows $334.

Summit and Jegs both carry it as well as the manufacturer, Cold Case Radiators.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Oh yeah I remember hearing about that but I thought you just had to make sure the new one had a restrictor, and that most of the high quality ones had it. Maybe I’m not remembering right though, I AM getting old af. It surprises me that these companies( who must know about the issue) don’t have the option for the buyer to have a restrictor included or at least put an install note in the box that says you might have to cut a valve stem off an old TPMS sensor and rig it up in the top port of their expensive radiator in order for it to work right in your GM lol. :rolleyes:

I just emailed Cold Case to tell them about the bracket fitment issues and the lack of a restrictor.

I will report back if/when they respond.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Good info. And further evidence that the vital gauges aren't for reporting actual stats. The PCM can make them do whatever it's programmed to do. ******* them out to draw attention and/or displaying urgent warnings in the DIC are just entry-level measures enabling us to not have to pay attention when we drive. Next level is side warning detection, then cameras all around, then steering that corrects when you drift, then cars that park themselves...

MAKE AMERICA DRIVE AGAIN!!!

Very true...

I also went out and pulled the hose again to make sure everything was where I left it and to get a picture of the valve stem installed in the radiator nipple.

Here it is for those with inquiring minds...
rps20210109_125406_232.jpg

Here you can see the difference in the size of the hole compared to the size of the original opening...
rps20210109_125436_318.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ That is one hell of an idea for this.
Agreed. That’s innovation. That’s why I keep all kinds of small parts and pieces of hardware even though I can’t see any possible use for it, as long as it doesn’t take up much room. When you need something like this, it’s time to think outside the box and start digging. Good job, Ken.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. That’s innovation. That’s why I keep all kinds of small parts and pieces of hardware even though I can’t see any possible use for it, as long as it doesn’t take up much room. When you need something like this, it’s time to think outside the box and start digging. Good job, Ken.
Agreed. I keep everything that may have a potential use down the road, unless it’s huge. Hell yeah! Nice job Ken!

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true...

I also went out and pulled the hose again to make sure everything was where I left it and to get a picture of the valve stem installed in the radiator nipple.

Here it is for those with inquiring minds...
View attachment 267235

Here you can see the difference in the size of the hole compared to the size of the original opening...
View attachment 267236

this isnt the mishimoto right?
if you look down that barb on the mishimoto the hole is only drilled out about that size at the end tank

i also threaded the inside of that barb to 1/8" npt so i could run hard tubing over to the overflow tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan