Kbuskill's 2008 Burb LTZ "MOD" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Got the oil cooler delete kit today.
rps20200304_164217_329-jpg.241752

rps20200304_164241_776-jpg.241753

Just for the record, I am not deleting an oil cooler.

I believe I have a slight leak from the factory oil coolerblock off plate.

When I was looking for a new gasket I realized that this could be had for only a couple dollars more than the gasket. $11.99 on Amazon delivered the next day.

It is billet aluminum and made in the good ol' USA so naturally I had to have it... lol

It uses an O-ring instead of a flat gasket.

Also received the two Fram Ultra Gaurd oil filters I ordered for the next oil change.

I have never, ever, used Fram filters on anything but these Ultra Gaurd filters are a new synthetic material and are rated to 20k miles. All the reviews over on "Bob is the oil guy" are stellar so I figured I would give them a shot.

I guess I will find out how they do after my next Blackstone oil sample gets tested.

rps20200304_165250_608.jpg rps20200304_165313_070.jpg

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Had my, soon to be 14 yr old, son change the oil and both oil filters today. 250,850 miles and still running strong.

Still running Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30 but changed from Mobil 1 EP filters to the Fram Ultra Gaurd filters this time around as they are supposed to be even better than the M1 filters. I guess the next UOA will tell the tale.

He also installed the new NGK Ruthenium plugs that have been sitting on the shelf for a while. I am certainly glad he changed them because I think I ended up with a set of KNOCK OFF AC Delco Iridium plugs last go around from Fleabay.

There is no way that Iridium plugs should be wore down this much in 75k miles...
rps20200418_195911_161-jpg.245022

rps20200418_195940_037-jpg.245023

Funny thing was it still ran good without any misfires. I assume my fuel mileage should improve with the new plugs though.

The NGK Ruthenium plugs came from Rock Auto so hopefully I won't find out these are knock offs... lol

He also replaced the valve cover gasket on the drivers side valve cover today.

He installed the new/improved VC that I got from @iamdub a couple months ago but we didn't replace the gasket or bolt grommets and it was evidently leaking a little bit.

Also installed the ICT oil cooler block off plate, but forgot to get a pic of it installed.

rps20200418_201041_562.jpg rps20200418_201104_540.jpg

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
The Burb has been acting up lately while trying to refuel. It would cut the pump off every few seconds no matter how slow you ran the pump.

I ordered a new charcoal canister and vent valve solenoid from Rockauto and had my son install them.

The filter material in the old canister had come apart and was allowing the charcoal pellets to get in and plug up the vent lines on the tank.

We hooked the shop vac up to the lines coming from the tank to the canister and then forced air into the fuel tank from the filler neck. The combination flushed out a ton of charcoal pellets from the lines.

I am happy to report that after doing this I went to the gas station and pumped 13 gallons of gas at full blast before the pump kicked off (Truck still had over half a tank when I started pumping) so problem solved and the wife is happy once again.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Burb has been acting up lately while trying to refuel. It would cut the pump off every few seconds no matter how slow you ran the pump.

I ordered a new charcoal canister and vent valve solenoid from Rockauto and had my son install them.

The filter material in the old canister had come apart and was allowing the charcoal pellets to get in and plug up the vent lines on the tank.

We hooked the shop vac up to the lines coming from the tank to the canister and then forced air into the fuel tank from the filler neck. The combination flushed out a ton of charcoal pellets from the lines.

I am happy to report that after doing this I went to the gas station and pumped 13 gallons of gas at full blast before the pump kicked off (Truck still had over half a tank when I started pumping) so problem solved and the wife is happy once again.
Excellent report and fathering! Carry on!

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nice change out. :) Same thing I did to the NBS.
Damn charcoal pellets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17