Kbuskill's 2008 Burb LTZ "MOD" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, mine has the scrubber pad in it as well.

Yours looks nice and clean as well. What oil and OCI are you running?

The 3oz you collect, is that with the revised valve cover?

When I bought it at 146K, I used M1 for the first few changes. I don't know what the PO used, but I'm sure it wasn't garbage nor was it the best. The lifter ticking at startup got quieter and shorter soon after my first M1 oil change. I then switched to Pennzoil Platinum and the ticking became mostly non-existent and I've stayed with that ever since. My guess is the lifters and/or AFM solenoids had a small amount of varnish built up and the switch to high quality synthetics cleaned it out over time.

I have always stuck to a strict 5K mile OCI. This is about when the oil is as dark as I'm comfortable with and it coincides with my preferred tire rotation schedule.

Mine has always had the revised cover since I've owned it. I didn't know this until after I had bought one and popped mine off to install it. That's how you ended up with it. Mine also has a newer VLOM so someone has been in to this engine before, and likely for an AFM failure. So they probably updated the VLOM, maybe the lifters, the valve cover and it likely has the relief valve shield in the oil pan as well. Now I'm gearing up to dive into it and do what should've been done that first time around. I'm really anxious to see the condition of the internals!

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
When I bought it at 146K, I used M1 for the first few changes. I don't know what the PO used, but I'm sure it wasn't garbage nor was it the best. The lifter ticking at startup got quieter and shorter soon after my first M1 oil change. I then switched to Pennzoil Platinum and the ticking became mostly non-existent and I've stayed with that ever since. My guess is the lifters and/or AFM solenoids had a small amount of varnish built up and the switch to high quality synthetics cleaned it out over time.

I have always stuck to a strict 5K mile OCI. This is about when the oil is as dark as I'm comfortable with and it coincides with my preferred tire rotation schedule.

Mine has always had the revised cover since I've owned it. I didn't know this until after I had bought one and popped mine off to install it. That's how you ended up with it. Mine also has a newer VLOM so someone has been in to this engine before, and likely for an AFM failure. So they probably updated the VLOM, maybe the lifters, the valve cover and it likely has the relief valve shield in the oil pan as well. Now I'm gearing up to dive into it and do what should've been done that first time around. I'm really anxious to see the condition of the internals!

Mine had the older valve cover but when I dropped the pan to do the oil pump, O-ring, timing chain, etc. it already had the shield on the pressure relief valve so I have a spare shield laying around.

I am hoping that the revised valve cover will further reduce the oil collected in the catch can.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had the older valve cover but when I dropped the pan to do the oil pump, O-ring, timing chain, etc. it already had the shield on the pressure relief valve so I have a spare shield laying around.

It's always interesting to learn new things about our rigs, especially after we've had them for some time. Mine developed a very small oil leak somewhere on the underside and, given the mileage, I assumed it was the rear main seal. After some poking around, I think it's the oil pan gasket. I learned then that someone had been in there since there was an excess of RTV squished out from between the pan and block and some on a wire harness loom near that. Obviously, someone removed and reinstalled the pan with the engine in place.

I am hoping that the revised valve cover will further reduce the oil collected in the catch can.

I as well!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Learned a lot from this. I pm’d Chris and got a great understanding of the catch can and relocation of the pcv and what that does. Since my 6.2 is from 07 and doesn’t have AFM or DOD I’m unsure if it’ll make a big difference but after looking at 2 heads that clean I’m going to at least poke around. I need this rig to last at least another 13 years. Thanks fellas.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Learned a lot from this. I pm’d Chris and got a great understanding of the catch can and relocation of the pcv and what that does. Since my 6.2 is from 07 and doesn’t have AFM or DOD I’m unsure if it’ll make a big difference but after looking at 2 heads that clean I’m going to at least poke around. I need this rig to last at least another 13 years. Thanks fellas.

There is no doubt that Dub and myself have some clean heads.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you had something going on about 10K miles ago with a bearing that seems to have sorted itself out. I'll be sending off another sample soon as well.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

Reaction score
Looks like you had something going on about 10K miles ago with a bearing that seems to have sorted itself out. I'll be sending off another sample soon as well.

I believe the high lead reading was from the aftermarket, Chicom, oil cooler that was installed just prior to that, leaching lead from the solder they used to braze it together. Just a hunch though.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the high lead reading was from the aftermarket, Chicom, oil cooler that was installed just prior to that, leaching lead from the solder they used to braze it together. Just a hunch though.

Oh yeahhh, I remember now, makes perfect sense and more sense than my thoughts! hehehe

How've you been?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts