Just purchased used 2017 Suburban Premier, anything I should look out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Justin J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The original warning was about the condenser, not the compressor. Are you hearing noises from the a/c compressor?

Yes that's what I meant to say. So yeah, in the Suburban I just got, I notice a very slight, but noticeable whine/whistle inside the cabin when the AC is activated. The sound kind if wavers a little. It's just loud enough to be annoying to me. I have an appt Thursday for it to be looked at. The actual AC still works fine, it's just the noise that's bothersome.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes that's what I meant to say. So yeah, in the Suburban I just got, I notice a very slight, but noticeable whine/whistle inside the cabin when the AC is activated. The sound kind if wavers a little. It's just loud enough to be annoying to me. I have an appt Thursday for it to be looked at. The actual AC still works fine, it's just the noise that's bothersome.
The condenser will leak Freon, which results in no cool air. No noise.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2015 Denali XL and it was a nightmare. My list was longer than yours. Dealer made good and gave below invoice pricing on a 2017 Denali XL. After 18 months and more issues I realized this generation has too many issues. For the money the comfort and quality just arent there, I bailed out again. I thought it looked great, towed like a boss, and had great mileage but that got outweighed by the bad. I bought a mint, insanely maintained 2013 Sub LTZ and it is a solid fantastic ride, w/ no issues.

On a side note I test drove a 2021 Denali on Saturday and all i can say is WOW. The ride was insanley comfortable, and quiet. They definetly raised the bar ALOT from the 2015-2020. We are probably going to make the move this year when pricing comes down a little. They are actually getting 5K over sticker.

So anyone looking for a 2013 Suburban LTZ in near perfect condition, dealer maintained since new, Florida truck 2wd...shoot me a PM! LOL

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had the same issue with my 2017 Denali. Here is my post and what actually fixed it even after they replaced the compressor. Its a bad design and the sound is transmitted into the cabin. Its a cheap fix.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/208687-growling-noise-dashboard-pass-side/page/2/#comments

My fix is on page #2

OP
OP
J

Justin J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 2017 Denali. Here is my post and what actually fixed it even after they replaced the compressor. Its a bad design and the sound is transmitted into the cabin. Its a cheap fix.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/208687-growling-noise-dashboard-pass-side/page/2/#comments

My fix is on page #2
Just seeing your response now @Seamus. Thank you for this - the dealership (as expected) didn't find anything wrong with whining sound. So I'm definitely going to try this fix!

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Suburban LS I purchased new. AC was repaired under warranty. The squeal when you step on the brake pedal bedfore you start the truck was also fixed by the dealer free of charge. The only other issues you may see me complain about are self inflicted wounds so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm about to crest 50k miles. No buffeting in the roof. I have 2 "bothersome" issues but they aren't typical problems that will put the truck in the shop.

Occasionally and intermittently the stereo will just "reboot" for no reason. May happen 2x's in a day, may not happen for months. I always drive with my phone plugged in so not sure if its cause Android/Waze/WhapsApp/Skype or some other app crashes the stereo or not...or if its just the stereo itself. Asked dealer to check but no codes, no updates required, and you know how ANY mechanic is about intermittent issues.

Harsh bumps make the drivers door rattle pretty badly. But in a Premier you should have much better sound deadening in the doors so it shouldn't be as loud at mine. The Premier's sound deadening is equivalent to an Escalades so it will make a big difference. My Sister has a '19 Esky and you can't hear shit from outside compared to mine. Huge difference.

Good luck with the truck. I'm enjoying this Suburban as much as my '09 Avalanche which says a lot cause that Avy was THE best car I ever owned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts