Just purchased used 2017 Suburban Premier, anything I should look out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had a 2015 Tahoe LTZ which I just traded in for a 2017 Suburban Premier. I had bad luck with the Tahoe - I'm convinced that the 2015 had a bunch of first year kinks they had to work out. I needed more space, plus the Tahoe always left a bad taste in my mouth due to the massive amount of repairs it needed, so I bit the bullet and made the swap.

Anything I should be aware of/look out for on the 2017 models?

Thanks!

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the whole generation has kinks that GM still needs to figure out ;)

-the buffeting has yet to be worked out.

make sure to drive the vehicle w/ the whole family
if anyone has sensitive ears , they will know if that particular vehicle has the issue or not.
also,
make sure to try as many road types as possible & speeds btwn 25-75 (or so)

it will be readily apparent if the issue exists or not.

-rear a/c condenser has a TSB
-trans. shudder (typically torque converter related)

my '15 has had none of these issues, yet [knock on wood]

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm, pleased to read that your swap out to another truck has relieved you of a truck that was basically a money pit for you. It much more fun to spend your hard-earned money on things that you want to spend it on, like cool mods, rather than to have to spend it on what the truck demands that you spend it on, just to keep it running.

OP
OP
J

Justin J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you've had good luck with your 2015. Here's what I did to mine in the ONE YEAR that I owned it:
- bearing in steering wheel went bad, plus seat warmer died ($900)
- Rear AC lines, battery lines replaced ($1500)
- various belts ($300)
- headlight filled with water. Bought a used one on ebay and installed it myself to save money ($600)
- HMI module replacement ($1600)

Then yesterday, the steering bearing went bad again. That was the last straw! Left the dealership with the Suburban!

Some might call me crazy for sticking with Tahoe/Suburban after all of this. However, I have to believe I just got an extremely unlucky car. And, I truly love these vehicles. I'm really hoping the 2017 Suburban will serve me better. I got an additional 3year/36,000 mile warranty just in case, because now I'm just paranoid.

the whole generation has kinks that GM still needs to figure out ;)

-the buffeting has yet to be worked out.

make sure to drive the vehicle w/ the whole family
if anyone has sensitive ears , they will know if that particular vehicle has the issue or not.
also,
make sure to try as many road types as possible & speeds btwn 25-75 (or so)

it will be readily apparent if the issue exists or not.

-rear a/c condenser has a TSB
-trans. shudder (typically torque converter related)

my '15 has had none of these issues, yet [knock on wood]

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
AC condenser will die, not maybe, but for sure, until it’s replaced. GM has a bulletin about it with mileage and moths extending past original warranty.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you've had good luck with your 2015. Here's what I did to mine in the ONE YEAR that I owned it:
- bearing in steering wheel went bad, plus seat warmer died ($900)
- Rear AC lines, battery lines replaced ($1500)
- various belts ($300)
- headlight filled with water. Bought a used one on ebay and installed it myself to save money ($600)
- HMI module replacement ($1600)

Then yesterday, the steering bearing went bad again. That was the last straw! Left the dealership with the Suburban!

Some might call me crazy for sticking with Tahoe/Suburban after all of this. However, I have to believe I just got an extremely unlucky car. And, I truly love these vehicles. I'm really hoping the 2017 Suburban will serve me better. I got an additional 3year/36,000 mile warranty just in case, because now I'm just paranoid.

If it makes you feel better I bought my 2016 Tahoe LT brand new in October 2016. So far [besides A/C condenser which the dealer fixed in less the 24 hours and GM paid for] nothing but plain old regular maintenance every 5K miles. Just turned 90K miles.

OP
OP
J

Justin J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
AC condenser will die, not maybe, but for sure, until it’s replaced. GM has a bulletin about it with mileage and moths extending past original warranty.

What is the symptom of a failing compressor?does it start making a whining/whistling noise by any chance?

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, thats quite the list you had to deal with.
hopefully this one is as trouble free as mine ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep