Just picked up a 2017 PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged7104SS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picked up a 17' ppv Tahoe for my family ride as my wife is about to pop with our first. It rides like shit, seems like mostly the rear is stiff as a brick. I replaced all the shocks/struts with ac delco. It helped a little bit but not much. I placed an order for 1" drop rear coil springs from crown suspension I found on ebay. Hoping to install them tomorrow. I love the stance the ppv has and don't want to loose it, but the ride is sooo bad.

ChunkePPV

Reaction score
Picked up a 17' ppv Tahoe for my family ride as my wife is about to pop with our first. It rides like shit, seems like mostly the rear is stiff as a brick. I replaced all the shocks/struts with ac delco. It helped a little bit but not much. I placed an order for 1" drop rear coil springs from crown suspension I found on ebay. Hoping to install them tomorrow. I love the stance the ppv has and don't want to loose it, but the ride is sooo bad.
I recently installed the Belltech 752SP in a 14 PPV, it rides so much better! Like a cloud! and you can adjust it to from 0" drop to 4" in the front, and 3 or 4 in the rear

OP
OP
B

Bagged7104SS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently installed the Belltech 752SP in a 14 PPV, it rides so much better! Like a cloud! and you can adjust it to from 0" drop to 4" in the front, and 3 or 4 in the rear

Good to know, I installed the Crown springs and its still a bit stiff in the rear. It is a improvement but I also removed the bump stops, that could help too. Wife has not been in it with the new springs yet so I want to see what she says as I am getting used to it. If not I will try the Belltech, thanks for the heads up. I started another thread on this as I could not find this post.

IMG_9117.jpg

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity how many miles on it? Any service records?

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
141k miles. Amazing how well it runs. Getting parts together to change over the io3 system to io6, new cluster, center console and carpet. Really liking this suv so far.
Having driven public safety fleet vehicles including those assigned to me and seeing the daily wear and tear first hand, what is the rationale for buying one vs. an LS if all several folks try to do is civilianize the interior to add creature comforts and improve the stiff ride? It would seem to me that looking for a well maintained used LS with lower mileage would be the better choice - especially since Public safety vehicles generally lead a harder life even if not a multi-driver vehicle or a vehicle with a constant dead load in the back.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Having driven public safety fleet vehicles including those assigned to me and seeing the daily wear and tear first hand, what is the rationale for buying one vs. an LS if all several folks try to do is civilianize the interior to add creature comforts and improve the stiff ride? It would seem to me that looking for a well maintained used LS with lower mileage would be the better choice - especially since Public safety vehicles generally lead a harder life even if not a multi-driver vehicle or a vehicle with a constant dead load in the back.

I can only relate my personal experience, which is to say you hit the nail on the head. I bought this one because of the low miles and attractive price point vs privately owned ones. And I’ve spent more than the cost difference addressing damage from abuse. If I buy any used vehicles again it will be private party original owner.
Admittedly I’m perhaps not the typical buyer because I usually purchase new and I’m very particular about mechanical reliability. I didn’t spend a bunch of money upgrading or “civilianizing” mine. I spent it on mechanical and electrical repairs.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only relate my personal experience, which is to say you hit the nail on the head. I bought this one because of the low miles and attractive price point vs privately owned ones. And I’ve spent more than the cost difference addressing damage from abuse. If I buy any used vehicles again it will be private party original owner.
Admittedly I’m perhaps not the typical buyer because I usually purchase new and I’m very particular about mechanical reliability. I didn’t spend a bunch of money upgrading or “civilianizing” mine. I spent it on mechanical and electrical repairs.

I did buy two Ford Crown Vic P71 unmarked cruisers that were used by the Fire Chief and Homicide Detectives, respectively. Fortunately, neither car had many idle hours and neither had been wrecked. The only insurance claim for one was for a windshield While I would not have bought either as my daily driver, they were reasonable starter cars for three teenage boys because new drivers typically tear stuff up. I paid less than $2k for each and put another grand into each for either brakes, worn ball joints and or tires.

The money that surplus SUVs go for was always insane. We sold two 15 year old Tahoe’s in 2014 that were painted in fire department colors and had large holes in the fenders, tailgate and roof where lights had been mounted. And, even though they had about 60k on the odometer, the idle time added many more tens if not hundreds of thousands of miles of wear and tear to the power trains since they would idle for hours on end at fire and EMS scenes (one hour of idle time equals 33 miles for maintenance purposes). Each went for approximately $8k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17