Just parked the 2018 PPV in the garage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our new to us 2018 Tahoe was finally rolled off the transporter this afternoon. Not too bad a shape. Have a couple of things to fix, as usual, but overall, it's nice. It was an East Texas County Sheriff's vehicle.

Let the mods begin! First up is the key fob. It looks like they used it to open their beers after their shift was over or something. It was wired and taped to the key. It also didn't work. A new one is on it's way already.

Delivery 9-15-22.jpgIn garage.jpg

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks to be in overall excellent condition! Nice find!

Seems you got it from Chicago Motors. I generally hear good things about them. Hopefully you got some service records. Did you get your nice Caprice from them also!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Our new to us 2018 Tahoe was finally rolled off the transporter this afternoon. Not too bad a shape. Have a couple of things to fix, as usual, but overall, it's nice. It was an East Texas County Sheriff's vehicle.

Let the mods begin! First up is the key fob. It looks like they used it to open their beers after their shift was over or something. It was wired and taped to the key. It also didn't work. A new one is on it's way already.

View attachment 380646View attachment 380647
Love the stance on the Caprice. Any stats and more pics on it? What's the story on it? I've always wanted one, but I hear horror stories about the DOD on it, and what it takes to fix it once there's an issue.

OP
OP
CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Caprice is a 2012. Was a Wisconsin Highway Patrol car. Got it from Cop Cars Online, same place we got the 2010 Tahoe. It's been overall a great car. Put coil-overs on it, swayers and an exhaust, and that's about it. I, too, have heard bad things about the DOD, but the car had the lifters and cam replaced while still in service. I LOVE it, but it's getting so parts are NLA, so considering getting something else to replace it before I retire. I need an appliance car, but want a hotrod. Looking at a Hemi Charger ex-service vehicle, but they're usually rode hard and put up wet, and are real rare to find. Dunno.

Here's the car at an autocross we took it to. It was wet and foggy out, so we kept our C Prepared 3rd Gen Firebird at home and drove this using our usual numbers so we could still get points. Kind of dirty, as it was misting and foggy (vis ~ 1/8 mile, maybe). It's parked beside our 2010 PPV.

2v2Ef49gWxJDYiP.jpg

And yes, the 2018 Tahoe came from Chicago Motors. Great people to work with, and I, too, had heard good things about them. I'd get another vehicle from either Cop Cars Online, or CMI, both have provided great service. It's just Cop Cars has so little inventory right now. I DO have them looking for a newer Charger V8 for me, though.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The Caprice is a 2012. Was a Wisconsin Highway Patrol car. Got it from Cop Cars Online, same place we got the 2010 Tahoe. It's been overall a great car. Put coil-overs on it, swayers and an exhaust, and that's about it. I, too, have heard bad things about the DOD, but the car had the lifters and cam replaced while still in service. I LOVE it, but it's getting so parts are NLA, so considering getting something else to replace it before I retire. I need an appliance car, but want a hotrod. Looking at a Hemi Charger ex-service vehicle, but they're usually rode hard and put up wet, and are real rare to find. Dunno.

Here's the car at an autocross we took it to. It was wet and foggy out, so we kept our C Prepared 3rd Gen Firebird at home and drove this using our usual numbers so we could still get points. Kind of dirty, as it was misting and foggy (vis ~ 1/8 mile, maybe). It's parked beside our 2010 PPV.

View attachment 380663

And yes, the 2018 Tahoe came from Chicago Motors. Great people to work with, and I, too, had heard good things about them. I'd get another vehicle from either Cop Cars Online, or CMI, both have provided great service. It's just Cop Cars has so little inventory right now. I DO have them looking for a newer Charger V8 for me, though.
Thanks for sharing. You definitely lucked out with that one. Looks great.

OP
OP
CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far, yes. Now our 2010 Tahoe has developed a miss at idle, which moved up the purchase date for the 2018. It never had an issue with the lifters, but am fearing that may be what's happened to it now. It seems okay off-idle, but has a definite dead miss at idle. No noises, or drop in mileage, or anything, so I'm at a loss for the cause, but starting to fear the worst, given the symptom and age.

OP
OP
CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help but think this thing is actually bigger then our 2010 Tahoe. Perhaps it's the 'slab sides' and the fact that our 2010 has a 2/3" drop kit on it, but I think that every time I walk out into the garage.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I can't help but think this thing is actually bigger then our 2010 Tahoe. Perhaps it's the 'slab sides' and the fact that our 2010 has a 2/3" drop kit on it, but I think that every time I walk out into the garage.
When you drop it, it definitely makes it look smaller. I noticed the same with my 03, that also has a 2/3 drop.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine give the same effect. Both are really close actually, except for clearance.

Attachments

• FD6163FA-787F-4F1B-B3BB-08BFD93D9439.jpeg
    FD6163FA-787F-4F1B-B3BB-08BFD93D9439.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 411286EF-9170-48C6-9542-38BA03B6686F.jpeg
    411286EF-9170-48C6-9542-38BA03B6686F.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons