Just had my third row stolen in dallas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Whether the seats were Escalade, Tahoe, Yukon or Suburban a theft occurred. A forum member suffered a loss and we’re nick picking his posts to death.

2. We don’t go into a situation looking to become a victim when trying to enjoy some family time. Whether it’s a staycation at a local theme park, trip to another city for a quick getaway or a family multi-state getaway. The focus is often on family, fun and creating good memories.

3. We shouldn’t further make the victim more of a victim by pointing out where “they could have decreased the chance of being a victim or perhaps they brought it on themselves”. It’s like telling a **** victim “hey, if you hadn’t worn makeup you wouldn’t have drawn attention to yourself”. I know that’s extreme.

4. Yes, we should always try to work on securing our vehicles, personal belongings, locks on our wheels, alarms, seats, tint as dark as laws will permit—as dark as we can safely operate individually our vehicles and the list goes on....BUT when do we say “enough is enough”! When do we place the blame and accountability on the thieves? We spend so much more money on security that could be better spent but we’re playing defense on the chance of becoming victims.

5. It’s not good to have valuables showing in plain sight but this wasn’t what the thief was after in this post. They were after the seats and were successful. Now, as a forum we come together to learn and share, to build on our knowledge base and perhaps deter or prevent at least one more theft from occurring. If at least one person is helped from the negative experience of the OP it’s a win.

6. I know that I have learned a lot from the OP’s experience. I wasn’t aware of the rear hatch not associated with the alarm setup. I wasn’t aware of the ease of popping the rear hatch either. So, I will be taking steps to prevent/decrease a thief from slipping into my Tahoe and stealing my speaker box, amp, etc. so, I’m thankful for the OP posting his experience and the many replies. Definitely won’t be placing a third row seat anytime soon unless absolutely needed. I don’t want to tempt an opportunistic predator who finds it easier stealing from others and reselling.

Thanks everyone.
Please. We are not nit picking his posts to death. Nobody said this was his fault. I was just pointing out the obvious in hope of bringing his attention to it. And of course it’s the thieves fault but it’s also up to us to decrease the chance if it happening and bring attention to what we can do better. Excuse me for trying to point these things out. That’s what we do here on this forum. I see you’re new here so maybe sit back and see how this place is different from most forums where members are routinely made to feel stupid. We look out for each other here, that’s what I was doing.

09Tahoe4Now

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man, I actually browsed the forum for almost two years before doing the member thing. Yes, I’m new in that sense but I see how the forum works. Actually my post was to try and get the topic back on track. We all make mistakes as the saying goes. The OP pointed out he had left valuables, he also pointed out that he was tired and didn’t stay in his normal place. I think he knew his mistake about the valuables—it’s the seat theft that caught him off guard. Perhaps I was trying to get everyone to take a different view/perspective. Read my post again and scroll back to the beginning. Some questioned if the seats were his because of the type... I don’t want to rehash it. I’d rather be a contributor and not muddy up the thread. It’s easier for me to say “I’m sorry if you took it personal” and move on. I’m not good at the forum seniority charting, posting, date of sign on, etc. if it was the military and it was DOR DOS etc back in the day I’d be concerned but a forum. You all win because my post count is low, I have not been here long and I have more time lurking than anything else.

@Kee Fuller yep I seen it and placed it in my basket for future purchase. Thanks.

@swathdiver that was actually one of my first purchases but it was the wrong size and had to send it back. eBay listing was wrong. We had one for our Yukon and I loved it. Especially when we were traveling.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man, I actually browsed the forum for almost two years before doing the member thing. Yes, I’m new in that sense but I see how the forum works. Actually my post was to try and get the topic back on track. We all make mistakes as the saying goes. The OP pointed out he had left valuables, he also pointed out that he was tired and didn’t stay in his normal place. I think he knew his mistake about the valuables—it’s the seat theft that caught him off guard. Perhaps I was trying to get everyone to take a different view/perspective. Read my post again and scroll back to the beginning. Some questioned if the seats were his because of the type... I don’t want to rehash it. I’d rather be a contributor and not muddy up the thread. It’s easier for me to say “I’m sorry if you took it personal” and move on. I’m not good at the forum seniority charting, posting, date of sign on, etc. if it was the military and it was DOR DOS etc back in the day I’d be concerned but a forum. You all win because my post count is low, I have not been here long and I have more time lurking than anything else.

@Kee Fuller yep I seen it and placed it in my basket for future purchase. Thanks.

@swathdiver that was actually one of my first purchases but it was the wrong size and had to send it back. eBay listing was wrong. We had one for our Yukon and I loved it. Especially when we were traveling.
You jumped my case for no reason, we didn’t need you to “get the topic back on track” but thanks for the effort. It has nothing to do with post count or seniority but FYI you indeed have “muddied up the thread” and of course I took it personal since your post was clearly directed at me just as this is directed back at you. It was like you were scolding me as if you were the forum police. Enough said about this unless you feel the need to get the last word. If you have anything else valuable to the op, then please have at it. If you need to address me further in this matter, please use the option to start a conversation with me and we can discuss it privately so we don’t further muddy up the thread. No harm no foul. My feelings aren’t hurt.

Reaction score
After I bought my truck, we considered putting one of those shades over the cargo area in back but since the tint is so dark, nobody can see inside anyway and it would get in the way when hauling furniture.
One of those came with my 2012. There are actually 2 different mounting points for it. One just behind the 3rd row seats and one further towards the front if your 3rd row is flipped up or removed.

The spring in it is messed up or something because I can't get it to pull out. I just keep it standing on end in the corner of the garage.... Lol

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blacked out windows help also, makes it harder to see inside

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

It does help .... Here in NY our Gov thought it would be a good idea to make it tougher for us to " to fight back" against the bad guys. Our Autos won't pass NYS inspection if the windows are tinted..

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does help .... Here in NY our Gov thought it would be a good idea to make it tougher for us to " to fight back" against the bad guys. Our Autos won't pass NYS inspection if the windows are tinted..
Now that’s ridiculous. I can understand making it against the law so if the police choose to they can write you a ticket so at least you have a choice if you want to take a chance on a ticket as opposed to letting thieves see into your vehicle but to not pass inspection? Inspections are supposed to be safety related I thought. Sure glad we don’t have inspections here, just emissions testing and I believe that’s going away since the new cars don’t require it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that’s ridiculous. I can understand making it against the law so if the police choose to they can write you a ticket so at least you have a choice if you want to take a chance on a ticket as opposed to letting thieves see into your vehicle but to not pass inspection? Inspections are supposed to be safety related I thought. Sure glad we don’t have inspections here, just emissions testing and I believe that’s going away since the new cars don’t require it.

Interesting how the thieves created a market where none was before, stealing lots of seats so folks across town buy the stolen property of other folks; crazy world.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DP2024