Just Fishing's 09 Tahoe Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for a moment there I got excited.
I found what appeared to be an in-stock factory new OEM crankshaft at Texas speed.

I called them today to confirm if it's in stock, they said they have 1, but the sales guy said usually when it's a single they are "Committed to a build".
He contacted shipping and confirmed that it's not for sale. :confused:

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i decided to do some calling around today.
Called up the local GM parts dealership and had them inquiry about some PN.
The 6.0 2500hd crank that i had been searching with, they found two.
Price: $533, comes out of Texas.
PN: 12685656
Replaced by: 19431872

Then the crank # that comes from the part search for my 5.3
they found 14, in Colorado.
Price: $410
PN: 12588614

For fun, i searched for a 2009 Tahoe LTZ with the 6.2.
that comes with a totally different crank
PN: 12706015
Price: $766!
I didn't inquiry about availability on that one.

What the heck is the difference between these cranks?!

From what i have read, they should all be the same right?

So going back to the 12588614
GMPartsDirect lists like $120 shipping on it.
gmpartswarehouse has it with free shipping for 289!

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the new crank on order.
Should be here in a few weeks.

And while organizing the garage, getting ready for another engine tear down...

I start remembering all of these sale tool boxes at home depot.

Me already loving my current husky tool box, i got online to see what's in stock.

So last night i pulled the seats out of the tahoe, did some measuring to ensure it would fit, and went over to my local home depot.

They had one left for the one i wanted!

And it fit perfectly in the tahoe.
I'll get pictures later, today my task is to clean the garage up, and get the new tool box into its intended location in the garage.

And then the fun part, deciding what goes in this tool box and making it organized/work for me.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current toolbox is the older version of this one (iirc it was like $600 at the time)

I have been loving it.

I went from a small and cheap craftsman toolbox that has the base + top tool box.
I outgrew that thing really quickly back in high school. :jester:
+ it's a non-ball bearing drawer, can't handle shit for weight in the drawers. :emotions33:

That black husky toolbox was amazing after coming from that little craftsman.
And i'm sold on soft close drawers.
I got mad one day and went to slam the drawer, soft close and my tools didn't move much.
My old toolbox would have tossed everything to the rear :banghead:

Only complaint would be the gaps in the drawers.
I like to clean the garage with a leaf blower and air hose, + i live in the desert.
Everything gets coated with a fine layer of sand, you should see the cloud of dust i can pick up on my driveway weekly with the leaf blower.

Been thinking of methods to close that gap, but i haven't found anything that worked yet.
Maybe something like a brush type of a seal at the bottom of each drawer?

Anyways, this is the new toolbox/work bench.

On sale for $498
It's pretty!
It's going to be sad to scratch up that wood top, damn thing is too pretty.

I would prefer one that matches my current toolbox, but that blue drew me in. :p
+ this will sit on the side of the garage.
The black one sits at the back. ;)

Heavy SOB, I managed to get it out of the hoe by myself.
It took 3 Home Depot young guys + me to get it in the hoe.

It had to be put on its back, but it fit perfectly otherwise.

getting it out by myself was interesting...
I was tempted to go grab my engine hoist to help, but i opted to sit a bunch of cardboard on the ground to prevent scratching it.
got it on the cardboard, then up on its end.
From there, easy peasy to get it on its wheels! :jester:

Minor damage to the back from the rear hatch latch...

Task today is to knock out a wood bench that the prior owner of this house made.
It's useless as a work bench since it sit's too low, and it's not a very good shelf either...

If i get that done, then i get to start filling it with tools. :cool:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you routinely throw liquids or heavy and sharp objects on top and don't wanna make stains, gouges and splinters, you can have an A/C supply or sheet metal shop make you a cap. It'd just be a shallow pan like what they put under air handlers, but upside-down to cover the wood and hold itself in place. Or, get the sheet metal and make your own. You don't necessarily need the sides covered, but I'd at least have the front covered so you don't have to contend with a sharp sheet metal edge. You can clamp square tubing or angle iron to it to act as a sheet metal brake to make straight bends.

I capped a portable work bench like this a long time ago since I was gonna use it for small engines and welding on. I didn't want the wooden top to soak up oils and chemicals and be a constant source for stink in the garage. Or get a bunch of cherries burned into the wood. I squared up some sheet metal and cut squares out of each corner so it had "tabs" long enough to cover the sides. Then I C-clamped it to the edge of the bench top with a piece of 1/8" angle iron. I used a length of 2x4 laid laterally as a dolly and worked my way side-to-side, beating it with a lightweight mallet to fold down a lip. Repeated for the other three sides. Then I tacked each vertical seam, slid the cap off, welded out the corner seams, flap-disced 'em smooth, coated with a shot of cold galvanizing spray and slid it back into place.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Current toolbox is the older version of this one (iirc it was like $600 at the time)

I have been loving it.

I went from a small and cheap craftsman toolbox that has the base + top tool box.
I outgrew that thing really quickly back in high school. :jester:
+ it's a non-ball bearing drawer, can't handle shit for weight in the drawers. :emotions33:

That black husky toolbox was amazing after coming from that little craftsman.
And i'm sold on soft close drawers.
I got mad one day and went to slam the drawer, soft close and my tools didn't move much.
My old toolbox would have tossed everything to the rear :banghead:

Only complaint would be the gaps in the drawers.
I like to clean the garage with a leaf blower and air hose, + i live in the desert.
Everything gets coated with a fine layer of sand, you should see the cloud of dust i can pick up on my driveway weekly with the leaf blower.

Been thinking of methods to close that gap, but i haven't found anything that worked yet.
Maybe something like a brush type of a seal at the bottom of each drawer?

Anyways, this is the new toolbox/work bench.

On sale for $498
It's pretty!

I would prefer one that matches my current toolbox, but that blue drew me in. :p
+ this will sit on the side of the garage.
The black one sits at the back. ;)

Heavy SOB, I managed to get it out of the hoe by myself.
It took 3 Home Depot young guys + me to get it in the hoe.

It had to be put on its back, but it fit perfectly otherwise.

getting it out by myself was interesting...
I was tempted to go grab my engine hoist to help, but i opted to sit a bunch of cardboard on the ground to prevent scratching it.
got it on the cardboard, then up on its end.
From there, easy peasy to get it on its wheels! :jester:

Minor damage to the back from the rear hatch latch...

Task today is to knock out a wood bench that the prior owner of this house made.
It's useless as a work bench since it sit's too low, and it's not a very good shelf either...

If i get that done, then i get to start filling it with tools. :cool:
Those are some nice boxes. I need those!

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to get a bigger box soon. I've recently decided to buy the tools I never had before. My little cornwell is quickly filling up. I do t have the space for one at the moment though. That's a very nice box and helluva deal. Congratulations! I checked out the 76" icon box at HF. Maybe it was 72, I don't remember. I'll probably go that route when the time comes

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you routinely throw liquids or heavy and sharp objects on top and don't wanna make stains, gouges and splinters, you can have an A/C supply or sheet metal shop make you a cap. It'd just be a shallow pan like what they put under air handlers, but upside-down to cover the wood and hold itself in place. Or, get the sheet metal and make your own. You don't necessarily need the sides covered, but I'd at least have the front covered so you don't have to contend with a sharp sheet metal edge. You can clamp square tubing or angle iron to it to act as a sheet metal brake to make straight bends.

I capped a portable work bench like this a long time ago since I was gonna use it for small engines and welding on. I didn't want the wooden top to soak up oils and chemicals and be a constant source for stink in the garage. Or get a bunch of cherries burned into the wood. I squared up some sheet metal and cut squares out of each corner so it had "tabs" long enough to cover the sides. Then I C-clamped it to the edge of the bench top with a piece of 1/8" angle iron. I used a length of 2x4 laid laterally as a dolly and worked my way side-to-side, beating it with a lightweight mallet to fold down a lip. Repeated for the other three sides. Then I tacked each vertical seam, slid the cap off, welded out the corner seams, flap-disced 'em smooth, coated with a shot of cold galvanizing spray and slid it back into place.

Good idea!
I was also thinking of a way to mount a pegboard backing to this thing.
Plus, it would be nice to have some sort of a catch in the back to prevent crap from rolling off and falling behind it when it's against the wall.

Those are some nice boxes. I need those!
Good value if you catch them on sale. ;)
Looking at other offerings from lowes and costco, these just feel tougher.
I was really let down by the new craftsman toolbox line at lowes.

If these are 20gauge, the new craftsmans have to be like 26 gauge or something. :confused:

I'm gonna have to get a bigger box soon. I've recently decided to buy the tools I never had before. My little cornwell is quickly filling up. I do t have the space for one at the moment though. That's a very nice box and helluva deal. Congratulations! I checked out the 76" icon box at HF. Maybe it was 72, I don't remember. I'll probably go that route when the time comes
ty,
they are pretty affordable, and they feel tougher than the specs suggest.
compared to a cornwell, i'm sure this thing will feel like a tin can. :jester:

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ty,
they are pretty affordable, and they feel tougher than the specs suggest.
compared to a cornwell, i'm sure this thing will feel like a tin can. :jester:

My cornwell box is nothing special. It's actual called a "cart" but it's served me well for nearly 12 years. It has drawers top to bottom. The top has a little lid that opens and there's storage there. These new boxes are built excellent compared to the older craftsman. I'll do plenty of comparisons before I buy anything. That icon is $3500 with a stainless top (hard to pay that for something from HF). That's not something I'll jump out and buy until I check all other options. Tool boxes are something I want to buy once and use for a lifetime. The husky boxes seem very nice, so who knows

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cornwell box is nothing special. It's actual called a "cart" but it's served me well for nearly 12 years. It has drawers top to bottom. The top has a little lid that opens and there's storage there. These new boxes are built excellent compared to the older craftsman. I'll do plenty of comparisons before I buy anything. That icon is $3500 with a stainless top (hard to pay that for something from HF). That's not something I'll jump out and buy until I check all other options. Tool boxes are something I want to buy once and use for a lifetime. The husky boxes seem very nice, so who knows

Last time i looked at the harborfreight stuff, they lost me because they didn't have soft close. :jester:
and they did seem expensive for what they were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts