Just Fishing's 09 Tahoe Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I admire the patience and precision of your work. I couldn’t do it.

Oh I'll drive my self insane until i succeed.
Poor wife, she has to hear my ramblings as i try and process information. :jester:

And i went to torque down the balancer
damn thing keeps sinking too far!!

fk it, i ordered a "new old stock" balancer.
Found one on ebay for $50

if i have the same problem, then i'll start playing with spacers/washers between the balancer and the timing chain/pump hub.

Everything i find says that balancer is supposed to seat against the sprocket behind it.

:yuno:

And i still have the original sprocket, measured against the replacement from when i did the DOD delete in the 5.3.
They are Identical (minus some hammer marks since i used the old one to seat the new sprocket).

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice thread! My only problem is that sage smells nothing like weed, sage is disgusting. But I guess I could just be one of those evil spirits that it is supposed to ward off lol.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey @Just Fishing you seem to be very knowledgeable on the 6l80. May dads 2012 avalanche is starting to have some kind of slip/shutter. At first he thought it was missing under a light load then it became more obvious it was in the trans. I know zero about these transmissions or what is "common" to happen. I haven't ridden in the truck myself but he describes is as not wanting to take off from a red light. Like it's in too high of gear but with throttle, it'll down shift and take off. Sometimes, when coming to a stop, you get stopped but it lunges forward, almost like the tcc isn't unlocking properly. These are the symptoms he gave me. I didn't find much on google though. I believe the mileage is around 120k? Trans has been serviced every 50k. Fluid and fliter

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just Fishing

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Hey @Just Fishing you seem to be very knowledgeable on the 6l80. May dads 2012 avalanche is starting to
Have some kind of slip/flutter. At first he thought it was missing under a light load then it became more obvious is it was in the trans. I know 0 about these transmissions or what is "common" to
Happen. I haven't ridden in the truck myself but he describes is as not wanting to take off from a red light. like it's in too high of gear but with throttle, it'll down shift and take off Sometimes, when common to a stop, you get stopped but it lunges forward, almost like the tcc isn't unlocking properly. These are the symptoms her gave me. I didn't find much on the ol google though. I believe the mileage is around 120k? Trans has been serviced every 50k. Fluid and fliter

Sorry for typos. Lack of sleep and I don't have the energy to fix them

Might be the pressure switches in the techm.

Mine was doing that a bit, i found some of the laminates for the pressure switches had started to wear through.

The remaining lag or delay it had seemed to be going from 3-4, i fixed thst by raising pressures by 5%, and adding another 5% to the oncoming and off going pressure presets.

After going back to stock 5.3 settings, i did the same thing again.
Shifts much better this way.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be the pressure switches in the techm.

Mine was doing that a bit, i found some of the laminates for the pressure switches had started to wear through.

The remaining lag or delay it had seemed to be going from 3-4, i fixed thst by raising pressures by 5%, and adding another 5% to the oncoming and off going pressure presets.

After going back to stock 5.3 settings, i did the same thing again.
Shifts much better this way.
Is this something you simply changed in the tune?