Judder on full lock - 4WD only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TolaxSJC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just picked up my new 21 Yukon Denali. Loving it so far and generally no issues through the first 800 miles.

Been up in the snow this week. One thing I have noticed if that I have 4WD high enabled when I do a full lock on the steering wheel there is a juddering that feels like abs engaging or something rubbing on the front wheels. It is quite pronounced. Does not seem to matter whether I am on snow or non-slippy tarmac. It is only on full lock, no issues on normal driving.

Weirdly is only occurs on 4WD high, if I select auto or 2wd then all is good (not tried 4WD low yet). Any thoughts?

tolax

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
What is your experience with four wheel drives? Sounds like normal operation.

What you’re feeling is a tire slipping. In 4WD the front and rear axles turn the same speed. Make a turn and the tires all take longer or shorter arcs. Something has to slip, or something will break.

OP
OP
T

TolaxSJC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Appreciate the response. Wifes car is a Range Rover sport which I’ve driven in snow a lot and did not exhibit the same juddering at full lock.

Glad it is a function rather than a feature. :)

Still not convinced by the tires, especially in slushy conditions. With the 22” wheels though the options seemed limited. Aside from that really enjoying the new ride.

Thanks again for the detailed response

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Rover has a center differential in the transfer case to allow speed differences front to rear on corners. If you put in 4 lock or whatever Rover calls it you inhibit that and it’ll judder the same way.

GM gives you the autotrac which runs in 2WD and then clutches in the front when it detects slip. Which is analogous to the all wheel drive of the Rover but -in my opinion- technically inferior because it has to slip first. Although I have to admit having driven a few the slip detection (or maybe even prediction?) is so good I can’t feel it slip.

Oddly enough in the 70’s GM offered full time 4x4 with a center diff. Dropped it most likely because of fuel economy imperatives.

TLDR; just run the GM in automatic. :)

OP
OP
T

TolaxSJC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They say it is important to learn something new every day.... :)

Thanks to all for the education.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844