Jingle all the way...to a new motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kingston331

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For about the last year and a half, I have had a slight jingle that would come and go randomly for a second or two. Completely un-repeatable and not trackable. Baffling but it was never long enough to record or find.

Fast forward to last week, I get the misfire on #6 code and truck runs like garbage. With 182K on the 5.3, I checked the obvious and with nothing obvious I determine that the jingle was the exact same sound I heard in this video
at 3:23. Low and behold a push rod on lifter / rocker arm. Pulling the valve cover I expect to find a collapsed DOD lifer. Nope. So, I pull the heads. This is what I find - not a collapsed lifter but one that comes apart!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wzAYpr2dZUCcx13R8

Anybody ever see this before?

Thinking the oil pump pressure relief valve, caused cam bering to go bad which resulted in reduction and subsequent final loss of oil pressure with the lifter failing over time.

I am replacing it with a freshened up long block. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts