Well, after a long break, I’m back.
I daily-ed the Tahoe to work for a while and it was all good, until one of the used GMT900 front brakes decided to lock up. So I pushed against it for a while, thinking I’d get in there and rebuild it, but when I took off the three months and didn’t drive it, the battery died. I left it alone while the wife and I decided if we were gonna sell it.
Then last summer, I got frustrated of having to jump it off every time I needed to move it and parked it on the farm. There she sat, sadly until about a week ago. I really got mostly afraid she was gonna turn into a mouse house, or lose some electronics that I wouldn’t be able to track down. After a scare of not starting, I realized it was too steep of an angle for the fuel pickup. Poured some in from a can, and bam. Runs like a top still. I just love that damn motor.
Anyways, replaced the battery, and went to rebuild the caliper, only to find it was essentially junked. The pistons were totally locked. So bough a re-man and slapped it on. Rebled the brakes and now works perfect. The stop power really is much better.
Then I snagged some 33x12.50s off Facebook for $125 with great remaining tread, and had them thrown on today. Next step will be removing the wheel spacers which right now make it look like I’m trying to build one of those trucks that explore the Arctic. Aaaaaaand hopefully it’ll correct some of the rub I’ve got now when turning. If not, I’ll get creative with the plastic cladding.
Next steps will be hunting down some electrical gremlins, run her to a body shop to get the replacement door painted, and some other body parts as well, and then probably have to let her go.
Anyways, here’s some pictures!View attachment 390588
after brake replacement. Before tires.View attachment 390589View attachment 390590