Tires..It's gonna come faster than you think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Stretch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The secret to winter tires like blizzaks is to not run them when the temps are above 50 degrees. They wear fine in the cold, but you might as well be doing burnouts if you run them in the summer. There is, however, nothing better for glare ice and below 0 temps.

I had a set of duratracs on the burb, and they were surprisingly good on the ice, only ran 4wd when I wanted to drive like an idiot, otherwise they always had traction, at least for the first 40k (pulled them at almost 80k). They quiet down a bunch if you run them slightly aired up over door jamb pressures.

The Stretch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
LOL, me too!

George knows what's up. It was like an easy button for passing the 20mph on a 4 lane interstate people in the snow/slush/ice we get all winter.

I have always said that in many cases the only thing 4WD does is put you deeper into the ditch.

I never found a reasonable ditch, mud pit or snow bank that could stop the duratracs. The first couple years I would classify as ultimate traction. I haven't experienced anything else that did everything that well before or since.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
George knows what's up. It was like an easy button for passing the 20mph on a 4 lane interstate people in the snow/slush/ice we get all winter.

I never found a reasonable ditch, mud pit or snow bank that could stop the duratracs. The first couple years I would classify as ultimate traction. I haven't experienced anything else that did everything that well before or since.
I remember the first time I got out of my 03 Burb and looked back at what I just drove through and thinking "holy shit I was in 2wd!"

fastscirocco

Reaction score
This post is so timely for me! I want to buy some wheels for my 2014 GMC Yukon XL Denali, are stock wheels readily available to mount dedicated snows on or should I let the local Discount Tire sell me an aftermarket wheel? Has anyone tried General Altimax Arctic? I had them on a car and they were GREAT!