It's about time someone called out GM on this issue!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, I guess the lawyers could have not filed the lawsuit and GM could have just gone on putting defective parts into the cars and leaving it for the consumer do deal with later. I mean, I get the distaste for some lawyers, but do you think the average consumer could effect a major improvement to an industry without the help of class lawyers?
Yes! I reject the premise that GM will do nothing to improve the product. We know that they are actively working on it. There's that thing called Free Enterprise.

I'm also not of mind to let the government or anybody else solve problems that come my way, I give them to Jesus and he lights the way!

Last edited:

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM/DOD is designed to meet Federal regulations, for emissions and for fuel economy. Pure and simple. for around $100 you can have it disabled by a tuner, and be done with it.
The problem with DOD is the lifter collapses in on itself. After so many cycles, the lifter begins to wear and then it gets jammed. My 2006 Rainier V8 lost #1 intake, and I fixed it, cost me about $400 or so for gaskets and a reprogrammed ECM. I did it over a weekend, but the ECM took about a week to ship out and ship back.
I did have a Check Engine Light when it failed. I unplugged the injector because I thought it did not make sense to have fuel squirting into the cyl, which made things worse, then the trans would not shift correctly, so I plugged it back in.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM/DOD is designed to meet Federal regulations, for emissions and for fuel economy. Pure and simple. for around $100 you can have it disabled by a tuner, and be done with it.
The problem with DOD is the lifter collapses in on itself. After so many cycles, the lifter begins to wear and then it gets jammed. My 2006 Rainier V8 lost #1 intake, and I fixed it, cost me about $400 or so for gaskets and a reprogrammed ECM. I did it over a weekend, but the ECM took about a week to ship out and ship back.
I did have a Check Engine Light when it failed. I unplugged the injector because I thought it did not make sense to have fuel squirting into the cyl, which made things worse, then the trans would not shift correctly, so I plugged it back in.
I think getting the PCM reflashed by a tuner to shut DOD/AFM down is a pretty good strategy. There are a few snags. On earlier models that don't have the locked PCM, the only problem is if you happen to take it to a shop that might do calibration updates as a matter of maintenance, perhaps without even telling the client, you run the risk of turning it back on without even knowing it, along with losing your tuned flash image.

Another snag is with my '21 Sierra AT4 (6.2L), the PCM is locked, so tuners can't just reflash it with DFM turned off. I think you can buy an unlocked PCM and with HP Tuners, get it shut off, but again, you still have the calibration update risk, along with quite a bit higher cost than just a refresh with AFM turned off (like $65) on earlier model years. There are inline tuning boxes you can install (Pulsar LT) and turn DFM off with that box, but it is a little more pricey and you probably will want to deinstall it if you are taking it to a dealer for warranty work.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And with all this, people are still paying over MSRP for vehicles right now, lol

and I am also getting well over what I thought I would on my trade in...

And if someone totaled yours today, or a string of Tornadoes came thru your community and scrapped your stuff out.... You would be too. You don't know everyone's situation........LOL

True...

No I wouldn't, insurance would, lol.

But why would it have to be a brand new vehicle?

Truthfully though, I wouldn't buy a brand new one, especially the 2021 model year since it's a first year build and has bugs. Plus I would never spend that kind of money on a vehicle unless I had a crapload of it and nothing else to spend it on.

And a drunk driver ran a red light and t-***** my 2011 Denali 3 years ago and caused 22k in damage totalling it. I replaced it with the 2012 Denali

Insurance is a business too, and although we pay it to cover us if something happens, they also are going to nickel and dime you.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also remember that insurance pay immediately depreciated ACV minus deductible... And doesn't pay to "replace" your vehicle or over sticker costs.
So, you could well be paying "over" sticker, without paying "over" sticker whatever year you buy new or used in today's market....

Reaction score
Depends on your policy and your insurance company.

Plus with most you don't have to accept the payout they first offer you.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, I was an insurance investigator/independent adjuster...
I suggest the insured to gather for sale ads to show an average used vehicle price.
It actually works ( most of the time)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep